Built in 1904 the plaster walls have cracks,
holes from hanging pictures and settling cracks. The settling crack is the worst one.
This crack is about one(1) inch wide at the floor and smaller as it goes up. I have
used joint compound in the smallcracks and
holes as some suggested but the big crack is
a puzzle to me. What remedy do you see?
One inch is pretty close to where I draw the line with joint compound.If possible,you need to under cut the crack (so its larger inside the wall).It may take a number of fillings but I'd try blocking the crack at the floor, and then forcing compound in and down the crack.After a day or two,move the tape block, or whatever your using, up over the previous work and fill the next level.You'll probably need one finishing coat over these areas.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 16 Designs for a Low-Cost DIY Coffee Table
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- 7 Surprising Other Uses for Mayonnaise
- 9 Ways to Make Your TV Look at Home
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 21 Ways to Spring Clean—Naturally
- Show Off: 9 Ways to Display a Collection
- The Best Paint Colors for Low-Light Rooms
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 8 Clever Storage Solutions for Pots & Pans
- 8 Creative OTHER Ways to Use a Closet
- 12 Tiny Gardens to Grow on a Tabletop
- 15 Eye-Catching Front Door Options
- 12 Places You Never Clean—But Should!