Built in 1904 the plaster walls have cracks,
holes from hanging pictures and settling cracks. The settling crack is the worst one.
This crack is about one(1) inch wide at the floor and smaller as it goes up. I have
used joint compound in the smallcracks and
holes as some suggested but the big crack is
a puzzle to me. What remedy do you see?
One inch is pretty close to where I draw the line with joint compound.If possible,you need to under cut the crack (so its larger inside the wall).It may take a number of fillings but I'd try blocking the crack at the floor, and then forcing compound in and down the crack.After a day or two,move the tape block, or whatever your using, up over the previous work and fill the next level.You'll probably need one finishing coat over these areas.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 16 Designs for a Low-Cost DIY Coffee Table
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- 7 Surprising Other Uses for Mayonnaise
- 9 Ways to Make Your TV Look at Home
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 8 Cleaning Mistakes Everyone Makes
- 10 Insanely Creative Shelves You Can DIY
- 10 Bargain Organizers for a Tidy Garage
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 9 Backyard Fire Pits You Can Afford
- 10 Things You Didn't Know Windex Can Do
- Watch These 10 Home Trends Take Off in 2015
- Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- 16 Garden Borders You Can Make—Easily!