wood shake siding
I live in a townhome complex that has wood shake siding (cedar, I'm guessing). It hasn't been stained or treated with sealer for ~15 years, and there is significant fading and areas of dark (black) coloration, which contractors have attributed to water staining or acid from the previous stain. Every contractor I speak with has a different opinion of what to do.... oil-based stain, oil prime and then paint, we can only seal it and have to live with the discoloration, water based stain... on and on.
Can anyone tell me what is the best way to repair the discoloration and preserve the siding?
If you're looking to stain it, you're going to run into a myriad of complications, but if you opt for painting it, you get into the painting 5-10 year peeling, scraping cycle. Either way, it's a you know what, but regardless, you need to protect the surface.
Best of luck!
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 25 Insanely Easy-to-Make Holiday Ornaments
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 10 Classic Ways to Brighten Up a Dark Room
- 10 Houseplants to Improve Indoor Air Quality
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 7 Unauthorized Uses for Common Appliances
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- Best Secret Hiding Spots We've Ever Seen
- Sweet Dreams: 15 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 11 Ways to Winterize Your Home
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 17 Creative Ways to Repurpose Cardboard
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow ANYWHERE
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 10 Bookcases You Can Make Yourself
- 7 Mistakes Not to Make with Your Fireplace
- The Easy 1-Hour Money-Saving Home Checkup
- Quick Fixes for a Fresher Shower
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Ways to Redecorate Without Spending a Dime
- 16 Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!