wood shake siding
I live in a townhome complex that has wood shake siding (cedar, I'm guessing). It hasn't been stained or treated with sealer for ~15 years, and there is significant fading and areas of dark (black) coloration, which contractors have attributed to water staining or acid from the previous stain. Every contractor I speak with has a different opinion of what to do.... oil-based stain, oil prime and then paint, we can only seal it and have to live with the discoloration, water based stain... on and on.
Can anyone tell me what is the best way to repair the discoloration and preserve the siding?
If you're looking to stain it, you're going to run into a myriad of complications, but if you opt for painting it, you get into the painting 5-10 year peeling, scraping cycle. Either way, it's a you know what, but regardless, you need to protect the surface.
Best of luck!
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Ways to Troubleshoot the Furnace
- 11 Real Haunted Houses to Visit--If You Dare!
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 21 Expert Picks for Fail-Safe Colors
- 7 DIY Ways to Reuse a 5-Gal Bucket
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 Unexpected Uses for Spray Paint
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 8 Amazing Handmade Kitchen Counters
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Thrifty DIY Ways to Organize Your Home
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 5 "Make in a Weekend" Bookshelf Projects
- 9 Decorating Lessons We Learned from Social Media
- 10 "Zero Dollar" Storage Hacks
- 121 DIY Ideas for Halloween
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!