Are ridge vents necessary, if...?
If your attic roof isn't insulated, if your attic is unfinished, and if you have the proper venting per sq footage, then you should be OK.
Sometimes, contractors/builders put soffit vents between every OTHER rafter. And sometimes, they're just bore-holes covered w/soffet vent. So, if the vents are UNDERSIZED, you may need more help.
Assuming you understand the Physics of this process, passive venting is usually sufficient. The addition of a draw fan or an exhaust fan, that's mounted in a Gable Vent, could add problems. To know if you don't need a fan, one test is to 'feel' how hot your ceiling gets in the top-most rooms in your house, just below the attic. For example, in summer, if the ceiling in your bedroom is really, REALLY warm, or if you feel the air getting warmer as you climb higher in the house, then perhaps warm air is being drawn into the living space via the attic!
Funny thing - In my neighborhood, we all have the same house. 3 neighbors have portable fans on their 2nd floor that just 'circulate' air because it gets so hot up there. Me - I have NOOOOOO problem whatsoever! I think that either their attic insulation is 'bad', they have no attic insulation, the insulation job was poorly done or inadequate, or their HVAC system is drawing warm air from the attic into the living space via 'leaks' between the 2 spaces (like attic pull-down stairs, drywall cracks, or the like.)
Good luck! My best to ya and hope this helps.
Jay J -Moderator
PS: God BLess America!
Ridge vents vs. Turbines
Leaking Ridge Vents
ON Ridge Vents leaked during Hurricane winds and rain
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 21 Expert Choices for Fail-Safe Paint Colors
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 10 IKEA Favorites Made New with Paint
- The Tiniest Appliances You Never Knew Existed
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- Sweet Dreams: 15 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 10 Fall Door DIYs for the Best House on the Block
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 15 Once-Popular Home Items Now Vanishing
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 7 Reasons to Reconsider Wallpaper
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Thrifty DIY Ways to Organize Your Home
- 12 "Different" Ways to Store Firewood
- 5 DIY Farm Table Projects That Will Last a Lifetime
- Beyond White: 11 Bathroom Paint Colors
- 10 DIYs for a Festive Front Door This Fall
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!