UN-Painting Kitchen Cabinets
The wood stain requires a wood bleach for removal, and those work with varying degrees of success depending on how deeply the stain orignially penetrated. You can re-stain over a lighter stain to get a darker color, but reversing it is tough.
If the stain is applied over a varnish, then it probably did not penetrate the wood, and, again, an ordinary stripper will work fine to just remove the varnish and whatever was on it.
The doors are 90-95% of what people will notice in your cabinets. I don't know if you were asking whether or instructing that the doors will go in any case. You do not need to throw the doors away. If you like the way they look, then you should focus most of your efforts on doing a clean strip job and then sanding them before you apply whatever finish/paint you choose.
If you don't like the way they look, then get new doors and don't worry too much about the interiors: paint them a color you would prefer (white is best for visibility inside the cabinets), and leave them alone. In that case, your main focus should be the visible frames (if you have framed cabinets), and, again, not bothering much about the interiors.
[This message has been edited by Lawrence (edited June 03, 2002).]
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Total Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 142 Remarkable Houses Around the World
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 10 Room Dividers to Bring Order to Your Space
- Shelf Life: 10 Bookcase Projects You Can DIY
- 11 Creative Garden Borders You Can Make—Easily!
- Tips and Tricks to Fit More into Less Closet Space
- 11 Amazing Homemade Sheds to Inspire Your Own
- Pest, Be Gone! 10 Steps to a Critter-Free Home
- 17 Design Inspirations for Mudrooms and Entryways
- Recipe for Success: 10 Easy Kitchen Storage Hacks
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- Winning Combinations: 9 "Can't Miss" Color Schemes
- Secret Rooms: 10 Special Spaces Hidden from Sight