UN-Painting Kitchen Cabinets
The wood stain requires a wood bleach for removal, and those work with varying degrees of success depending on how deeply the stain orignially penetrated. You can re-stain over a lighter stain to get a darker color, but reversing it is tough.
If the stain is applied over a varnish, then it probably did not penetrate the wood, and, again, an ordinary stripper will work fine to just remove the varnish and whatever was on it.
The doors are 90-95% of what people will notice in your cabinets. I don't know if you were asking whether or instructing that the doors will go in any case. You do not need to throw the doors away. If you like the way they look, then you should focus most of your efforts on doing a clean strip job and then sanding them before you apply whatever finish/paint you choose.
If you don't like the way they look, then get new doors and don't worry too much about the interiors: paint them a color you would prefer (white is best for visibility inside the cabinets), and leave them alone. In that case, your main focus should be the visible frames (if you have framed cabinets), and, again, not bothering much about the interiors.
[This message has been edited by Lawrence (edited June 03, 2002).]
- 10 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 11 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 12 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Kitchen Envy: 10 Rooms We Love
- 25 Clever Ideas for Repurposed Storage
- 10 Surprising Ways to Cure Household Odors
- 11 Ways to Winterize Your Home on a Budget
- 10 Ways to Live Large in a Small Space
- 10 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Dressing Up the Dresser: 11 Clever DIY Transformations
- 12 Hobbit Houses to Make You Consider Moving Underground
- 10 Ways to Use Mirrors to Your Design Advantage
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- How To: Paint EVERYTHING
- Man, Oh Man! 7 Unbelievable Guy Spaces
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 12 Wow-Worthy Woods for Kitchen Countertops
- 10 "Neat" Garage Storage Solutions
- 10 Houseplants to Improve Indoor Air Quality
- How To: Clean EVERYTHING