UN-Painting Kitchen Cabinets
The wood stain requires a wood bleach for removal, and those work with varying degrees of success depending on how deeply the stain orignially penetrated. You can re-stain over a lighter stain to get a darker color, but reversing it is tough.
If the stain is applied over a varnish, then it probably did not penetrate the wood, and, again, an ordinary stripper will work fine to just remove the varnish and whatever was on it.
The doors are 90-95% of what people will notice in your cabinets. I don't know if you were asking whether or instructing that the doors will go in any case. You do not need to throw the doors away. If you like the way they look, then you should focus most of your efforts on doing a clean strip job and then sanding them before you apply whatever finish/paint you choose.
If you don't like the way they look, then get new doors and don't worry too much about the interiors: paint them a color you would prefer (white is best for visibility inside the cabinets), and leave them alone. In that case, your main focus should be the visible frames (if you have framed cabinets), and, again, not bothering much about the interiors.
[This message has been edited by Lawrence (edited June 03, 2002).]
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Ways to Troubleshoot the Furnace
- 11 Real Haunted Houses to Visit--If You Dare!
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 21 Expert Picks for Fail-Safe Colors
- 7 DIY Ways to Reuse a 5-Gal Bucket
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 Unexpected Uses for Spray Paint
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 8 Amazing Handmade Kitchen Counters
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Thrifty DIY Ways to Organize Your Home
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 5 "Make in a Weekend" Bookshelf Projects
- 9 Decorating Lessons We Learned from Social Media
- 10 "Zero Dollar" Storage Hacks
- 121 DIY Ideas for Halloween
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!