UN-Painting Kitchen Cabinets
The wood stain requires a wood bleach for removal, and those work with varying degrees of success depending on how deeply the stain orignially penetrated. You can re-stain over a lighter stain to get a darker color, but reversing it is tough.
If the stain is applied over a varnish, then it probably did not penetrate the wood, and, again, an ordinary stripper will work fine to just remove the varnish and whatever was on it.
The doors are 90-95% of what people will notice in your cabinets. I don't know if you were asking whether or instructing that the doors will go in any case. You do not need to throw the doors away. If you like the way they look, then you should focus most of your efforts on doing a clean strip job and then sanding them before you apply whatever finish/paint you choose.
If you don't like the way they look, then get new doors and don't worry too much about the interiors: paint them a color you would prefer (white is best for visibility inside the cabinets), and leave them alone. In that case, your main focus should be the visible frames (if you have framed cabinets), and, again, not bothering much about the interiors.
[This message has been edited by Lawrence (edited June 03, 2002).]
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 13 Lazy Cleaning Tricks for a Spotless Home
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 7 House Sounds You Never Want to Ignore
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- Worth It: 8 Renovations That Pay You Back
- Organize Your Life with 12 Dollar-Store Buys
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- Don't Make These 7 Mistakes in Small Spaces
- 20 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 15 Totally Unexpected DIY Flooring Alternatives
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 10 Closet Cures That Cost Less Than $100
- 11 Easy DIY Projects to Declutter Your Home
- 10 "Zero Dollar" Garden Hacks
- 10 Killproof Plants for a No-Effort Landscape
- 9 Insanely Easy 1-Hour Backyard Projects