We are redoing an older home and hired a professional painter to paint all of the walls, doors, and trim. There were several old layers of paint especially on the trim and doors and a lot of it was chipped and flaking. He told us he would make sure all of it was sanded smooth before he applied the new paint.
Well, he lied. He did little preparation and, in many areas, applied the new paint over the chips and flakes. Whenever we mentioned the problem to him, his solution was to apply more paint which didn't help the situation any. Needless to say, it looks awfull.
We thought we could come back later and sand down the worst areas to smooth them out and then repaint. It doesn't appear to be that easy. Now that the paint has hardened, it is almost impossible to sand. The painter used an acrylic latex paint in a semi-gloss finish.
Is there any way we can smooth out some of the rough areas on the trim and doors? Is there some kind of filler that we use? We really don't want to replace all of this trim.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 10 IKEA Favorites Made New with Paint
- The Tiniest Appliances You Never Knew Existed
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 21 Expert Picks for Fail-Safe Colors
- 10 Fall Door DIYs for the Best House on the Block
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 15 Once-Popular Home Items Now Vanishing
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 7 Reasons to Reconsider Wallpaper
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Thrifty DIY Ways to Organize Your Home
- 12 "Different" Ways to Store Firewood
- 17 Creative Ways to Repurpose Cardboard
- Beyond White: 11 Bathroom Paint Colors
- 10 DIYs for a Festive Front Door This Fall
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!