We are redoing an older home and hired a professional painter to paint all of the walls, doors, and trim. There were several old layers of paint especially on the trim and doors and a lot of it was chipped and flaking. He told us he would make sure all of it was sanded smooth before he applied the new paint.
Well, he lied. He did little preparation and, in many areas, applied the new paint over the chips and flakes. Whenever we mentioned the problem to him, his solution was to apply more paint which didn't help the situation any. Needless to say, it looks awfull.
We thought we could come back later and sand down the worst areas to smooth them out and then repaint. It doesn't appear to be that easy. Now that the paint has hardened, it is almost impossible to sand. The painter used an acrylic latex paint in a semi-gloss finish.
Is there any way we can smooth out some of the rough areas on the trim and doors? Is there some kind of filler that we use? We really don't want to replace all of this trim.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Ways to Troubleshoot the Furnace
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- DIY Workbenches: 5 You Can Build in a Weekend
- 7 DIY Ways to Reuse a 5-Gal Bucket
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 Unexpected Uses for Spray Paint
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 8 Amazing Handmade Kitchen Counters
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Thrifty DIY Ways to Organize Your Home
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 5 "Make in a Weekend" Bookshelf Projects
- 9 Decorating Lessons We Learned from Social Media
- 10 "Zero Dollar" Storage Hacks
- 121 DIY Ideas for Halloween
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!