I have a 70's house that has 3 walls in the kitchen that have a brick facade that is painted black in between the bricks. (I'm sure there is a name for that. I just don't know what it's called.) I have a small kitchen and the dark brick and black in between makes it very dark. It looks to me like the previous owners just painted the wall black first and then glued on these brick facings. I'm thinking about sponge painting the brick with white blotches and then putting some kind of stuco substance in between the bricks that is white. The effect should make the brick look more like real brick and mortar. My question is this...can I use spackling in between the bricks. Will it adhere to the wall? Or...should I use regular mortar and does mortar come in white and pre-mixed and will the mortar stick the the drywall? Thank you.
One brand of fake brick was ZBrick. You might be able to find the fake mortar at your nearest home center. I doubt real mortar will stick to the wall, at least for long. We removed this stuff in our first house (also in the kitchen), skimmed the walls with drywall compound then painted. We were much happier and it was loads easier to clean. Good luck.
How did you get it off the wall without totally tearing up the wall? I tried getting it off and found out that would take too much time and work. What I did instead (now that I got the job done) was sponge paint the brick with white paint so it still has some of the brick showing and I covered the black paint in between the bricks with spackling compound and sealed it once it dried. So far the spackling is adhering to the wall but time will tell the whole story. It looks good for the time being at least. I know back then putting fake brick on a wall was the thing to do but I'd never do it myself to any wall! Thanks for the response.
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Total Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 142 Remarkable Houses Around the World
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 10 Room Dividers to Bring Order to Your Space
- Shelf Life: 10 Bookcase Projects You Can DIY
- 11 Creative Garden Borders You Can Make—Easily!
- Tips and Tricks to Fit More into Less Closet Space
- 11 Amazing Homemade Sheds to Inspire Your Own
- Secret Rooms: 10 Special Spaces Hidden from Sight
- 17 Design Inspirations for Mudrooms and Entryways
- Recipe for Success: 10 Easy Kitchen Storage Hacks
- Winning Combinations: 9 "Can't Miss" Color Schemes
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- The Ultimate All-Natural Cleaning Guide