I have a 70's house that has 3 walls in the kitchen that have a brick facade that is painted black in between the bricks. (I'm sure there is a name for that. I just don't know what it's called.) I have a small kitchen and the dark brick and black in between makes it very dark. It looks to me like the previous owners just painted the wall black first and then glued on these brick facings. I'm thinking about sponge painting the brick with white blotches and then putting some kind of stuco substance in between the bricks that is white. The effect should make the brick look more like real brick and mortar. My question is this...can I use spackling in between the bricks. Will it adhere to the wall? Or...should I use regular mortar and does mortar come in white and pre-mixed and will the mortar stick the the drywall? Thank you.
One brand of fake brick was ZBrick. You might be able to find the fake mortar at your nearest home center. I doubt real mortar will stick to the wall, at least for long. We removed this stuff in our first house (also in the kitchen), skimmed the walls with drywall compound then painted. We were much happier and it was loads easier to clean. Good luck.
How did you get it off the wall without totally tearing up the wall? I tried getting it off and found out that would take too much time and work. What I did instead (now that I got the job done) was sponge paint the brick with white paint so it still has some of the brick showing and I covered the black paint in between the bricks with spackling compound and sealed it once it dried. So far the spackling is adhering to the wall but time will tell the whole story. It looks good for the time being at least. I know back then putting fake brick on a wall was the thing to do but I'd never do it myself to any wall! Thanks for the response.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- Make Your Bed: 9 DIY Headboards
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Space-Saving Solutions for Tiny Bedrooms
- 9 Perfect Color Combos for Your Home
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- What's the Best Color for Living Rooms?
- Favorite Space-Saving Double-Duty Furniture
- 10 Low-Cost DIY Home Security Solutions
- Redecorate Without Spending a Dime: 10 Ideas
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- 9 Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- Live Large in a (Very) Small Space
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Simple Woodworking Projects
- Is There Anything Vinegar Can't Do?
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 10 Surprisingly Smart Solutions for Junk Drawers
- Bright & Bold Colors for Your Front Door
- DIY Bookcases: 16 Easy Project Ideas
- Don't Make These 7 Fireplace Mistakes