Can and How Ho I Paint the Interior of a Fireplace?
If you use non-fire rated paint, it will likely peel off and look horrible once the fireplace is used for fire, again. It will do so even if you subsequently re-paint it with fire-rated paint. The worst-case scenario is that it will burn off and the entire fireplace surface will catch on fire, but the flamable chemicals will likely (but not necessarily) have evaporated by then, so the more likely result is that it will just flake off. Any painted surface is only as strong as its weakest link, so if you have non fire-rated paint anywhere in the layers of paint, it will fail when put to the test and flake off.
[This message has been edited by Lawrence (edited September 14, 2002).]
which paint to use for interior texture finishes?
Never painted before...
Painting stairway walls next to carpet
Removing paint from aluminum windows and ceramic tile
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 25 Insanely Easy-to-Make Holiday Ornaments
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 10 Classic Ways to Brighten Up a Dark Room
- 10 Houseplants to Improve Indoor Air Quality
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 7 Unauthorized Uses for Common Appliances
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- Best Secret Hiding Spots We've Ever Seen
- Sweet Dreams: 15 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 11 Ways to Winterize Your Home
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 17 Creative Ways to Repurpose Cardboard
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow ANYWHERE
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 10 Bookcases You Can Make Yourself
- 7 Mistakes Not to Make with Your Fireplace
- The Easy 1-Hour Money-Saving Home Checkup
- Quick Fixes for a Fresher Shower
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Ways to Redecorate Without Spending a Dime
- 16 Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!