Can and How Ho I Paint the Interior of a Fireplace?
If you use non-fire rated paint, it will likely peel off and look horrible once the fireplace is used for fire, again. It will do so even if you subsequently re-paint it with fire-rated paint. The worst-case scenario is that it will burn off and the entire fireplace surface will catch on fire, but the flamable chemicals will likely (but not necessarily) have evaporated by then, so the more likely result is that it will just flake off. Any painted surface is only as strong as its weakest link, so if you have non fire-rated paint anywhere in the layers of paint, it will fail when put to the test and flake off.
[This message has been edited by Lawrence (edited September 14, 2002).]
which paint to use for interior texture finishes?
Never painted before...
Painting stairway walls next to carpet
Removing paint from aluminum windows and ceramic tile
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- Make Your Bed: 9 DIY Headboards
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Space-Saving Solutions for Tiny Bedrooms
- 9 Perfect Color Combos for Your Home
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- What's the Best Color for Living Rooms?
- Favorite Space-Saving Double-Duty Furniture
- 10 Low-Cost DIY Home Security Solutions
- Redecorate Without Spending a Dime: 10 Ideas
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- 9 Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- Live Large in a (Very) Small Space
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Simple Woodworking Projects
- Is There Anything Vinegar Can't Do?
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 10 Surprisingly Smart Solutions for Junk Drawers
- Bright & Bold Colors for Your Front Door
- DIY Bookcases: 16 Easy Project Ideas
- Don't Make These 7 Fireplace Mistakes