repairing a plaster crack
How should I go about repairing a long (5 feet) hairline crack in a plaster ceiling? Please be specific, as I have never dealt with plaster walls and ceilings before.
Open the crack with a painter's 5-in-one tool or a "church key" can opener.....down to the wood lath........clean all dust debris and loose plaster and flat ceiling surface.........paint all surfaces including the wood lath and plaster edges with a LATEX AD-MIX(liquid at home center)........Mix the plaster patching(powder) mix with the ad-mix instead of water to a thick, stiff peanut butter consistancy..........apply with a putty/broad knife to fill the void and match the surrounding surface.........usually two coats...........force into the crack to "key" to the wood lath.........Use a large damp sponge to blend the surface to match the surrounding finish......doug
[This message has been edited by doug seibert (edited October 16, 2002).]
If that is the case, your ceiling cannot be fixed with mesh tape and any type of compound or plaster alone.
It needs to be re-secured to the joists first.
This type of ceiling ( I have coined the term 'transitional ceilings')has been known to collapse unexpectedly.
I would direct you the the proper page on my website for more information:
Estate Plaster, Inc.
Greensboro, N.C. 27403
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 13 Lazy Cleaning Tricks for a Spotless Home
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 7 House Sounds You Never Want to Ignore
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- Worth It: 8 Renovations That Pay You Back
- Organize Your Life with 12 Dollar-Store Buys
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- Don't Make These 7 Mistakes in Small Spaces
- 20 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 15 Totally Unexpected DIY Flooring Alternatives
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 10 Closet Cures That Cost Less Than $100
- 11 Easy DIY Projects to Declutter Your Home
- 10 "Zero Dollar" Garden Hacks
- 10 Killproof Plants for a No-Effort Landscape
- 9 Insanely Easy 1-Hour Backyard Projects