repairing a plaster crack
How should I go about repairing a long (5 feet) hairline crack in a plaster ceiling? Please be specific, as I have never dealt with plaster walls and ceilings before.
Open the crack with a painter's 5-in-one tool or a "church key" can opener.....down to the wood lath........clean all dust debris and loose plaster and flat ceiling surface.........paint all surfaces including the wood lath and plaster edges with a LATEX AD-MIX(liquid at home center)........Mix the plaster patching(powder) mix with the ad-mix instead of water to a thick, stiff peanut butter consistancy..........apply with a putty/broad knife to fill the void and match the surrounding surface.........usually two coats...........force into the crack to "key" to the wood lath.........Use a large damp sponge to blend the surface to match the surrounding finish......doug
[This message has been edited by doug seibert (edited October 16, 2002).]
If that is the case, your ceiling cannot be fixed with mesh tape and any type of compound or plaster alone.
It needs to be re-secured to the joists first.
This type of ceiling ( I have coined the term 'transitional ceilings')has been known to collapse unexpectedly.
I would direct you the the proper page on my website for more information:
Estate Plaster, Inc.
Greensboro, N.C. 27403
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 25 Insanely Easy-to-Make Holiday Ornaments
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 10 Classic Ways to Brighten Up a Dark Room
- 10 Quick and Creative Stocking Stuffers
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 7 Unauthorized Uses for Common Appliances
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- Best Secret Hiding Spots We've Ever Seen
- Sweet Dreams: 15 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 11 Ways to Winterize Your Home
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 10 Must-Do Projects for November
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow ANYWHERE
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 10 Bookcases You Can Make Yourself
- 7 Mistakes Not to Make with Your Fireplace
- The Easy 1-Hour Money-Saving Home Checkup
- Quick Fixes for a Fresher Shower
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Ways to Redecorate Without Spending a Dime
- The Top 10 Artificial Christmas Trees