repairing a plaster crack
How should I go about repairing a long (5 feet) hairline crack in a plaster ceiling? Please be specific, as I have never dealt with plaster walls and ceilings before.
Open the crack with a painter's 5-in-one tool or a "church key" can opener.....down to the wood lath........clean all dust debris and loose plaster and flat ceiling surface.........paint all surfaces including the wood lath and plaster edges with a LATEX AD-MIX(liquid at home center)........Mix the plaster patching(powder) mix with the ad-mix instead of water to a thick, stiff peanut butter consistancy..........apply with a putty/broad knife to fill the void and match the surrounding surface.........usually two coats...........force into the crack to "key" to the wood lath.........Use a large damp sponge to blend the surface to match the surrounding finish......doug
[This message has been edited by doug seibert (edited October 16, 2002).]
If that is the case, your ceiling cannot be fixed with mesh tape and any type of compound or plaster alone.
It needs to be re-secured to the joists first.
This type of ceiling ( I have coined the term 'transitional ceilings')has been known to collapse unexpectedly.
I would direct you the the proper page on my website for more information:
Estate Plaster, Inc.
Greensboro, N.C. 27403
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Ways to Troubleshoot Furnace Problems (Before Calling In the Pros)
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Classic Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- DIY Workbenches: 5 You Can Build in a Weekend
- 7 DIY Ways to Reuse a 5-Gal Bucket
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 Unexpected Uses for Spray Paint
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 8 Amazing Handmade Kitchen Counters
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Knock-Your-Socks-Off Laundry Room Ideas
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 5 "Make in a Weekend" Bookshelf Projects
- 9 Decorating Lessons We Learned from Social Media
- Three Ways to Find a Wall Stud (Without Fancy Equipment)
- 16 Ingenious IKEA Hacks
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!