Old Painted Kitchen Cabinets
Hi I have a project in an apartment where the kitchen has multiple layers of paint on the walls and cabinets. It has started to muck up and look thick on the surfaces. The resident of the apartment wants to change the way the kitchen looks in general and my suggestion was to change the colors and freshen up the old place. I would like to change the cabinets back to their original wood surface with a nice moderate to dark traditional stain and paint the walls a color resembling sage. My question is what is the best way to either remove the layers of old paint from the walls and cabinets (without causing the resident/renter to invest TOO much money, time, and effort), or how can I make the surface clean and natural enough for this project to work well without the old residue of bad paint jobs.
my suggestions would be to strip all those layers of old paint..sand it down..bleach the wood..complete it wiht your desired stain..this is the cheapest way to go than replacing or buying new cabinets...
I stripped some wooden cabinets. They had that mucked up look like you described. I used a heat gun and a scraper. Worked like a charm and there is very little money involved. Just be careful to not scorch the wood. If you happen to do so, when you sand the cabinets pay particular attention to those spots. I found some beautiful carving on the edges of my cabinets!
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- Make Your Bed: 9 DIY Headboards
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Space-Saving Solutions for Tiny Bedrooms
- 9 Perfect Color Combos for Your Home
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- What's the Best Color for Living Rooms?
- Favorite Space-Saving Double-Duty Furniture
- 10 Low-Cost DIY Home Security Solutions
- Redecorate Without Spending a Dime: 10 Ideas
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- 9 Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- Live Large in a (Very) Small Space
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Simple Woodworking Projects
- Is There Anything Vinegar Can't Do?
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 10 Surprisingly Smart Solutions for Junk Drawers
- Bright & Bold Colors for Your Front Door
- DIY Bookcases: 16 Easy Project Ideas
- Don't Make These 7 Fireplace Mistakes