Old Painted Kitchen Cabinets
Hi I have a project in an apartment where the kitchen has multiple layers of paint on the walls and cabinets. It has started to muck up and look thick on the surfaces. The resident of the apartment wants to change the way the kitchen looks in general and my suggestion was to change the colors and freshen up the old place. I would like to change the cabinets back to their original wood surface with a nice moderate to dark traditional stain and paint the walls a color resembling sage. My question is what is the best way to either remove the layers of old paint from the walls and cabinets (without causing the resident/renter to invest TOO much money, time, and effort), or how can I make the surface clean and natural enough for this project to work well without the old residue of bad paint jobs.
my suggestions would be to strip all those layers of old paint..sand it down..bleach the wood..complete it wiht your desired stain..this is the cheapest way to go than replacing or buying new cabinets...
I stripped some wooden cabinets. They had that mucked up look like you described. I used a heat gun and a scraper. Worked like a charm and there is very little money involved. Just be careful to not scorch the wood. If you happen to do so, when you sand the cabinets pay particular attention to those spots. I found some beautiful carving on the edges of my cabinets!
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 16 Designs for a Low-Cost DIY Coffee Table
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- 7 Surprising Other Uses for Mayonnaise
- 9 Ways to Make Your TV Look at Home
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 8 Cleaning Mistakes Everyone Makes
- 10 Insanely Creative Shelves You Can DIY
- 10 Bargain Organizers for a Tidy Garage
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 9 Backyard Fire Pits You Can Afford
- 10 Things You Didn't Know Windex Can Do
- Watch These 10 Home Trends Take Off in 2015
- Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- 16 Garden Borders You Can Make—Easily!