My friend and I are renting a mobile home in January, and we would like to paint the entire interior. The problem is that there is the wallpaper on most of the walls, and some of the walls were replaced and are bare...and we don't want to take the wallpaper down since we are renting (too much extra hassle). The park is supplying the paint, we just have to do the work, so here is my question: If I apply Kilz (or equivalent) then paint over it, will the paint stay put? Or will it peel off? PLEASE HELP! Thanks! (email me if possible!!) =)
This is really a follow-up addressed to JayF. That site you recommended said to prime with KILZ which will bond to the wallpaper and then put on your "finish paint". But do you know if you could then finish with a latex paint or would you have to use an oil based paint. We used to be told that if you primed with oil-based you had to paint with oil-based. Is that still true?
I don't know what the official response to this should be, but I have painted with latex over Kilz a number of times with no adverse effects. As a matter of fact, when we gutted our ranch and went through it this past summmer, I must have spent close to $500 on Kilz alone. And I used 95% latex on all surfaces in the house afterwards. Still looks great right now.
There is no problem with painting water-based products over oil based kilz. It is fomulated to accept most paint. And that is my unofficial stand on things
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 16 Designs for a Low-Cost DIY Coffee Table
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- 7 Surprising Other Uses for Mayonnaise
- 9 Ways to Make Your TV Look at Home
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 8 Cleaning Mistakes Everyone Makes
- 10 Insanely Creative Shelves You Can DIY
- 10 Bargain Organizers for a Tidy Garage
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 9 Backyard Fire Pits You Can Afford
- 10 Things You Didn't Know Windex Can Do
- Watch These 10 Home Trends Take Off in 2015
- Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- 16 Garden Borders You Can Make—Easily!