My mother has asked me to help her paint her house. She originally hired someone to do the work but, she was unhappy about his methods. I have no experience painting. Most of the baseboards and doors are painted already. But, I'm concerned about the work that was done. Originally the baseboards and doors were primer coated and then painted with a latex satin paint. Should these have been sanded first? I've noticed on one door the paint easily comes off. There are a few nicks and scraps resulting in the paint being removed on the baseboards in high traffic areas. The paint job is about a week old. Whats the prognosis for the future of the existing paint jobs? Should I not worry about it and continue with the rest of the work sanding first, then painting? Any help you provide is appreciated. Honestly, I'm lost when it comes to this stuff. - Chad
The paint that was applied to the doors may still just be soft as it takes latex/acrylic paints at least 30 days to cure. Yes you should sand any remaining woodwork and doors before you paint them and remember primer is not a substitute for sanding.
about sanding... When you've finished, make sure to clean up the dust before priming and painting. Otherwise, the paint will be "rough" with the sanding dust.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 16 Designs for a Low-Cost DIY Coffee Table
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- 7 Surprising Other Uses for Mayonnaise
- 9 Ways to Make Your TV Look at Home
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 21 Ways to Spring Clean—Naturally
- Show Off: 9 Ways to Display a Collection
- The Best Paint Colors for Low-Light Rooms
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 8 Clever Storage Solutions for Pots & Pans
- 8 Creative OTHER Ways to Use a Closet
- 12 Tiny Gardens to Grow on a Tabletop
- 15 Eye-Catching Front Door Options
- 12 Places You Never Clean—But Should!