My mother has asked me to help her paint her house. She originally hired someone to do the work but, she was unhappy about his methods. I have no experience painting. Most of the baseboards and doors are painted already. But, I'm concerned about the work that was done. Originally the baseboards and doors were primer coated and then painted with a latex satin paint. Should these have been sanded first? I've noticed on one door the paint easily comes off. There are a few nicks and scraps resulting in the paint being removed on the baseboards in high traffic areas. The paint job is about a week old. Whats the prognosis for the future of the existing paint jobs? Should I not worry about it and continue with the rest of the work sanding first, then painting? Any help you provide is appreciated. Honestly, I'm lost when it comes to this stuff. - Chad
The paint that was applied to the doors may still just be soft as it takes latex/acrylic paints at least 30 days to cure. Yes you should sand any remaining woodwork and doors before you paint them and remember primer is not a substitute for sanding.
about sanding... When you've finished, make sure to clean up the dust before priming and painting. Otherwise, the paint will be "rough" with the sanding dust.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- Make Your Bed: 9 DIY Headboards
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Space-Saving Solutions for Tiny Bedrooms
- 9 Perfect Color Combos for Your Home
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- What's the Best Color for Living Rooms?
- Favorite Space-Saving Double-Duty Furniture
- 10 Low-Cost DIY Home Security Solutions
- Redecorate Without Spending a Dime: 10 Ideas
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- 9 Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- Live Large in a (Very) Small Space
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Simple Woodworking Projects
- Is There Anything Vinegar Can't Do?
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 10 Surprisingly Smart Solutions for Junk Drawers
- Bright & Bold Colors for Your Front Door
- DIY Bookcases: 16 Easy Project Ideas
- Don't Make These 7 Fireplace Mistakes