I recently had basement finished and I have a problem with my trim. The baseboard was primed and painted with oil based paint. The molding that fits on top and the doors were primed and painted with latex. Unfortunatley, even though both paints are from the same manufacturer, their is a major disparity in sheen and color. I'd like to repaint everything to achieve consistency but don't know whether to use latex or oil to cover everything? Any suggestions?
That's what I am thinking. What is the best and simplest way to prep the oil based to be covered with latex.
You will neeed to sand the oil based and prime it with an oil based undercoater and you do not need to go with one of the quick dry types unless you are in a hurry to get things done. Then you will be ready to finish with the acrylic/latex semi-gloss.
5slb6......Now why should he PRIME the freshly painted oil paint?......the latex will go over the oil just fine without any bonding problems................doug
Even it is fairly new oil based paint you will still need to prime it before you apply acrylic/latex paint over to insure it does not peel off in sheets later on down the road. It is true that old oil based paints that have been up for years are harder than one that has been up just for a short time, they are still to hard and slick for acrylic/latex paints to adhear to them. I would still sand the oil based paint before putting on the undercoater.
Better safe than sorry.
Better safe than sorry.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Ways to Troubleshoot Furnace Problems (Before Calling In the Pros)
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Classic Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- DIY Workbenches: 5 You Can Build in a Weekend
- 7 DIY Ways to Reuse a 5-Gal Bucket
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 Unexpected Uses for Spray Paint
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 8 Amazing Handmade Kitchen Counters
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Knock-Your-Socks-Off Laundry Room Ideas
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 5 "Make in a Weekend" Bookshelf Projects
- 9 Decorating Lessons We Learned from Social Media
- Three Ways to Find a Wall Stud (Without Fancy Equipment)
- 16 Ingenious IKEA Hacks
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!