I recently had basement finished and I have a problem with my trim. The baseboard was primed and painted with oil based paint. The molding that fits on top and the doors were primed and painted with latex. Unfortunatley, even though both paints are from the same manufacturer, their is a major disparity in sheen and color. I'd like to repaint everything to achieve consistency but don't know whether to use latex or oil to cover everything? Any suggestions?
That's what I am thinking. What is the best and simplest way to prep the oil based to be covered with latex.
You will neeed to sand the oil based and prime it with an oil based undercoater and you do not need to go with one of the quick dry types unless you are in a hurry to get things done. Then you will be ready to finish with the acrylic/latex semi-gloss.
5slb6......Now why should he PRIME the freshly painted oil paint?......the latex will go over the oil just fine without any bonding problems................doug
Even it is fairly new oil based paint you will still need to prime it before you apply acrylic/latex paint over to insure it does not peel off in sheets later on down the road. It is true that old oil based paints that have been up for years are harder than one that has been up just for a short time, they are still to hard and slick for acrylic/latex paints to adhear to them. I would still sand the oil based paint before putting on the undercoater.
Better safe than sorry.
Better safe than sorry.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 15 Fast Facade Fixes for Instant Curb Appeal
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- 17 Jaw Dropping Deck Designs for Your Home
- 10 Woodworking Projects for Beginners
- 283 Great DIY Project Ideas
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Junk Mail
- Decorating "Rules" Meant to Be Broken
- 17 Backsplashes for a Unique Kitchen
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 16 Creative Cabinet Updates
- 10 Ways to Bring Typography Style Home
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- Make Your Own Kitchen Island: 12 Designs
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- Small Bedrooms, Huge Amounts of Style
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- Tiny Bedroom? 10 Space-Saving Solutions
- How to Make Concrete Letters
- 1 Dozen Ways to Maximize a Small Yard
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 5 Easy and Creative DIY Lamps