I recently had basement finished and I have a problem with my trim. The baseboard was primed and painted with oil based paint. The molding that fits on top and the doors were primed and painted with latex. Unfortunatley, even though both paints are from the same manufacturer, their is a major disparity in sheen and color. I'd like to repaint everything to achieve consistency but don't know whether to use latex or oil to cover everything? Any suggestions?
That's what I am thinking. What is the best and simplest way to prep the oil based to be covered with latex.
You will neeed to sand the oil based and prime it with an oil based undercoater and you do not need to go with one of the quick dry types unless you are in a hurry to get things done. Then you will be ready to finish with the acrylic/latex semi-gloss.
5slb6......Now why should he PRIME the freshly painted oil paint?......the latex will go over the oil just fine without any bonding problems................doug
Even it is fairly new oil based paint you will still need to prime it before you apply acrylic/latex paint over to insure it does not peel off in sheets later on down the road. It is true that old oil based paints that have been up for years are harder than one that has been up just for a short time, they are still to hard and slick for acrylic/latex paints to adhear to them. I would still sand the oil based paint before putting on the undercoater.
Better safe than sorry.
Better safe than sorry.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 5 Rakes Every Homeowner Should Know
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Classic Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 8 DIY Storage Solutions for a Closet-less Room
- 9 Potent Cleaners You Didn't Know You Had
- 8 Great DIY Ways to Use Cinder Blocks
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 10 Fall Home Maintenance Musts
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Perfect Projects
- 8 Countertops You'd Never Believe Were Handmade
- 13 Terror-ific Yards All Decked Out for Halloween
- 5 Minutes Flat: 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- 10 FREE Storage Hacks
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Design Inspirations for Your Small Bedroom
- Deck the Doors: 10 Wreaths for Autumn Decorating
- 7 Tools to Wage War Against Leaves
- 16 Ingenious IKEA Hacks
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 10 Insanely Creative Shelves You Can DIY