I recently had basement finished and I have a problem with my trim. The baseboard was primed and painted with oil based paint. The molding that fits on top and the doors were primed and painted with latex. Unfortunatley, even though both paints are from the same manufacturer, their is a major disparity in sheen and color. I'd like to repaint everything to achieve consistency but don't know whether to use latex or oil to cover everything? Any suggestions?
That's what I am thinking. What is the best and simplest way to prep the oil based to be covered with latex.
You will neeed to sand the oil based and prime it with an oil based undercoater and you do not need to go with one of the quick dry types unless you are in a hurry to get things done. Then you will be ready to finish with the acrylic/latex semi-gloss.
5slb6......Now why should he PRIME the freshly painted oil paint?......the latex will go over the oil just fine without any bonding problems................doug
Even it is fairly new oil based paint you will still need to prime it before you apply acrylic/latex paint over to insure it does not peel off in sheets later on down the road. It is true that old oil based paints that have been up for years are harder than one that has been up just for a short time, they are still to hard and slick for acrylic/latex paints to adhear to them. I would still sand the oil based paint before putting on the undercoater.
Better safe than sorry.
Better safe than sorry.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- 15 Once-Popular Items Now Vanishing
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- 10 Amazing Homes Made from Shipping Containers
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 283 Great DIY Project Ideas
- Picture-Perfect Patios: 10 Outdoor Spaces to Love
- 10 Clever Uses for Space Under Stairs
- 17 Backsplashes for a Unique Kitchen
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 16 Ways to Use Salvaged Wood in Your Home
- Natural Swimming Pools: 10 Reasons to Jump In
- 108 Easy Outdoor Living Ideas
- 14 Room Dividers to Organize Your Space
- Quick Tips for Tackling 10 Clutter Hot Spots
- The Right Path: 15 Wonderful Walkway Designs
- 15 "Neat" Garage Storage Solutions
- 15 Unexpected DIY Flooring Alternatives
- 11 Creative Ways to Reuse Cardboard Boxes
- DIY Organization: 10 Cheap and Easy Ideas
- 15 Easy Steps to a Dust-Free Home
- 5 Common Lawn Problems—and How to Fix Them