I'm re-finishing my basement, and removed some paneling which was glued to the walls. Now the lower 1/3rd of all the walls downstairs either have a good deal of paper ripped from the drywall, or gobs of glue. I'm thinking about possibly hanging 3/8" drywall over all the old stuff. Is this the best way to go? I have 0 experience in skim coating, which I think is the other alternative. Thanks.
I had the exact same problem. I opted to rip down the drywall as well and recover the whole room. My decision was based on the fact that the drywall hung beneath the paneliing was never taped or mudded. It was also hung with vertical seams above the corners of the windows and doors, and was a bit moldy in two corners from pet stains. Had the drywall been in better shape, I might have opted for taping mudding and skim coating. In my case, however, the extra demolition was worth it.
I'd go with removing the old and installing new, from scratch, if for no other reason than to expose the studs that you'll need to see in order to screw the drywall to.
Good point. I hadn't thought of finding studs... but couldn't he follow the old nails? Be careful not to use chalk lines as they'll bleed through the finish paint.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- Make Your Bed: 9 DIY Headboards
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Space-Saving Solutions for Tiny Bedrooms
- 9 Perfect Color Combos for Your Home
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- What's the Best Color for Living Rooms?
- Favorite Space-Saving Double-Duty Furniture
- 10 Low-Cost DIY Home Security Solutions
- Redecorate Without Spending a Dime: 10 Ideas
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- 9 Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- Live Large in a (Very) Small Space
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Simple Woodworking Projects
- Is There Anything Vinegar Can't Do?
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 10 Surprisingly Smart Solutions for Junk Drawers
- Bright & Bold Colors for Your Front Door
- DIY Bookcases: 16 Easy Project Ideas
- Don't Make These 7 Fireplace Mistakes