I'm re-finishing my basement, and removed some paneling which was glued to the walls. Now the lower 1/3rd of all the walls downstairs either have a good deal of paper ripped from the drywall, or gobs of glue. I'm thinking about possibly hanging 3/8" drywall over all the old stuff. Is this the best way to go? I have 0 experience in skim coating, which I think is the other alternative. Thanks.
I had the exact same problem. I opted to rip down the drywall as well and recover the whole room. My decision was based on the fact that the drywall hung beneath the paneliing was never taped or mudded. It was also hung with vertical seams above the corners of the windows and doors, and was a bit moldy in two corners from pet stains. Had the drywall been in better shape, I might have opted for taping mudding and skim coating. In my case, however, the extra demolition was worth it.
I'd go with removing the old and installing new, from scratch, if for no other reason than to expose the studs that you'll need to see in order to screw the drywall to.
Good point. I hadn't thought of finding studs... but couldn't he follow the old nails? Be careful not to use chalk lines as they'll bleed through the finish paint.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- 15 Once-Popular Items Now Vanishing
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Design a Rustic Bathroom: 10 Inspirations
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 283 Great DIY Project Ideas
- 9 Budget Ways to Revive Your Porch
- 10 Clever Uses for Space Under Stairs
- 17 Backsplashes for a Unique Kitchen
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- Make Your Small Bathroom Feel BIG
- 108 Easy Outdoor Living Ideas
- The Right Path: 15 Wonderful Walkway Designs
- 10 Smart New Uses for Old Tires
- 14 Room Dividers to Organize Your Space
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- 15 Unexpected DIY Flooring Alternatives
- Design a Better Bedroom: 9 Strategies
- 21 Paint Colors That Never Fail
- 1 Dozen Ways to Maximize a Small Yard
- 9 Easy-to-Make Garden Luminaries
- Would You Live in a Floating Home?