I'm re-finishing my basement, and removed some paneling which was glued to the walls. Now the lower 1/3rd of all the walls downstairs either have a good deal of paper ripped from the drywall, or gobs of glue. I'm thinking about possibly hanging 3/8" drywall over all the old stuff. Is this the best way to go? I have 0 experience in skim coating, which I think is the other alternative. Thanks.
I had the exact same problem. I opted to rip down the drywall as well and recover the whole room. My decision was based on the fact that the drywall hung beneath the paneliing was never taped or mudded. It was also hung with vertical seams above the corners of the windows and doors, and was a bit moldy in two corners from pet stains. Had the drywall been in better shape, I might have opted for taping mudding and skim coating. In my case, however, the extra demolition was worth it.
I'd go with removing the old and installing new, from scratch, if for no other reason than to expose the studs that you'll need to see in order to screw the drywall to.
Good point. I hadn't thought of finding studs... but couldn't he follow the old nails? Be careful not to use chalk lines as they'll bleed through the finish paint.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 21 Expert Choices for Fail-Safe Paint Colors
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 10 IKEA Favorites Made New with Paint
- The Tiniest Appliances You Never Knew Existed
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- Sweet Dreams: 15 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 10 Fall Door DIYs for the Best House on the Block
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 15 Once-Popular Home Items Now Vanishing
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 7 Reasons to Reconsider Wallpaper
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Thrifty DIY Ways to Organize Your Home
- 12 "Different" Ways to Store Firewood
- 5 DIY Farm Table Projects That Will Last a Lifetime
- Beyond White: 11 Bathroom Paint Colors
- 10 DIYs for a Festive Front Door This Fall
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!