I'm re-finishing my basement, and removed some paneling which was glued to the walls. Now the lower 1/3rd of all the walls downstairs either have a good deal of paper ripped from the drywall, or gobs of glue. I'm thinking about possibly hanging 3/8" drywall over all the old stuff. Is this the best way to go? I have 0 experience in skim coating, which I think is the other alternative. Thanks.
I had the exact same problem. I opted to rip down the drywall as well and recover the whole room. My decision was based on the fact that the drywall hung beneath the paneliing was never taped or mudded. It was also hung with vertical seams above the corners of the windows and doors, and was a bit moldy in two corners from pet stains. Had the drywall been in better shape, I might have opted for taping mudding and skim coating. In my case, however, the extra demolition was worth it.
I'd go with removing the old and installing new, from scratch, if for no other reason than to expose the studs that you'll need to see in order to screw the drywall to.
Good point. I hadn't thought of finding studs... but couldn't he follow the old nails? Be careful not to use chalk lines as they'll bleed through the finish paint.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Ways to Troubleshoot Furnace Problems (Before Calling In the Pros)
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Classic Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- DIY Workbenches: 5 You Can Build in a Weekend
- 7 DIY Ways to Reuse a 5-Gal Bucket
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 Unexpected Uses for Spray Paint
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 8 Amazing Handmade Kitchen Counters
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Knock-Your-Socks-Off Laundry Room Ideas
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 5 "Make in a Weekend" Bookshelf Projects
- 9 Decorating Lessons We Learned from Social Media
- Three Ways to Find a Wall Stud (Without Fancy Equipment)
- 16 Ingenious IKEA Hacks
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!