Hasn't seen paint in over 20 years!
I would suggest staying away from B-I-N. It is a wonderful primer - but is really overkill for what you have. Plus which - the smell will knock your tenant on her behind!
Glidden Ultra-Hide Gripper seals great - hides better than B-I-N - and is latex - so the odor isn't too bad.
A coat of Gripper - after your repairs are done - two coats of Glidden Evermore Satin finish - and you are good to go!
Both Glidden products are available at The Home Depot
Yeah the BIN may smell but if gripper goes not work what have you gained.
Also if you want good paint advice stay away from the big box home centers as the guy working in the paint department was most likely in plumbing yesterday. You should go to a paint store to get the right product for the job and the best advice as that is all they sell is paint.
As for the advice at the big boxes - I can't disagree that sometimes they aren't the best as far as advice - compared to paint stores. But to say they are all bad - and paint stores are all good is a generalization I wouldn't want to make. I have seen plently of clueless people at "Paint Stores" too.
I have been in the paint business for 18 years - I have used Gripper since it was introduced almost 10 years ago. It is a great product.
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Total Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Top 10 Classic DIY Projects for the Outdoors
- 15 Once-Popular Household Items That Are Vanishing
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Wise Ways to Get Rid of Pests and Critters
- Before and After: 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- Top Tips for Keeping Countertops Like New
- 15 Amazing Things You Can Make with $0 Scrap Wood
- 14 Ways to Get More Kitchen Counter Space
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 18 Bathroom Updates You Can Do in 1 Day
- 9 Tried-and-True Methods of Eliminating Weeds
- Top 11 Color Trends to Follow in 2014
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers