Hasn't seen paint in over 20 years!
I would suggest staying away from B-I-N. It is a wonderful primer - but is really overkill for what you have. Plus which - the smell will knock your tenant on her behind!
Glidden Ultra-Hide Gripper seals great - hides better than B-I-N - and is latex - so the odor isn't too bad.
A coat of Gripper - after your repairs are done - two coats of Glidden Evermore Satin finish - and you are good to go!
Both Glidden products are available at The Home Depot
Yeah the BIN may smell but if gripper goes not work what have you gained.
Also if you want good paint advice stay away from the big box home centers as the guy working in the paint department was most likely in plumbing yesterday. You should go to a paint store to get the right product for the job and the best advice as that is all they sell is paint.
As for the advice at the big boxes - I can't disagree that sometimes they aren't the best as far as advice - compared to paint stores. But to say they are all bad - and paint stores are all good is a generalization I wouldn't want to make. I have seen plently of clueless people at "Paint Stores" too.
I have been in the paint business for 18 years - I have used Gripper since it was introduced almost 10 years ago. It is a great product.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- World's Most Amazing Slip 'N Slide
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- 10 Steps to Paradise in Your Own Backyard
- 47 Industrial Kitchens
- 283 Great DIY Project Ideas
- 15 Plants Perfect for Hanging Baskets
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 17 Backsplashes for a Unique Kitchen
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 16 Creative Cabinet Updates
- Buy or Build: 15 Desks We Love
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- Make Your Own Kitchen Island: 12 Designs
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- Corral Kids' Clutter with 15 DIY Storage Ideas
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- Tiny Bedroom? 10 Space-Saving Solutions
- 5 DIY Porch Swings Perfect for Summer
- 1 Dozen Ways to Maximize a Small Yard
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 5 Easy and Creative DIY Lamps