Hasn't seen paint in over 20 years!
I would suggest staying away from B-I-N. It is a wonderful primer - but is really overkill for what you have. Plus which - the smell will knock your tenant on her behind!
Glidden Ultra-Hide Gripper seals great - hides better than B-I-N - and is latex - so the odor isn't too bad.
A coat of Gripper - after your repairs are done - two coats of Glidden Evermore Satin finish - and you are good to go!
Both Glidden products are available at The Home Depot
Yeah the BIN may smell but if gripper goes not work what have you gained.
Also if you want good paint advice stay away from the big box home centers as the guy working in the paint department was most likely in plumbing yesterday. You should go to a paint store to get the right product for the job and the best advice as that is all they sell is paint.
As for the advice at the big boxes - I can't disagree that sometimes they aren't the best as far as advice - compared to paint stores. But to say they are all bad - and paint stores are all good is a generalization I wouldn't want to make. I have seen plently of clueless people at "Paint Stores" too.
I have been in the paint business for 18 years - I have used Gripper since it was introduced almost 10 years ago. It is a great product.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 13 Lazy Cleaning Tricks for a Spotless Home
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 7 House Sounds You Never Want to Ignore
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- Worth It: 8 Renovations That Pay You Back
- Organize Your Life with 12 Dollar-Store Buys
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- Don't Make These 7 Mistakes in Small Spaces
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 15 Totally Unexpected DIY Flooring Alternatives
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 10 Closet Cures That Cost Less Than $100
- 11 Easy DIY Projects to Declutter Your Home
- 10 "Zero Dollar" Garden Hacks
- 10 Killproof Plants for a No-Effort Landscape
- 9 Insanely Easy 1-Hour Backyard Projects