Hasn't seen paint in over 20 years!
I would suggest staying away from B-I-N. It is a wonderful primer - but is really overkill for what you have. Plus which - the smell will knock your tenant on her behind!
Glidden Ultra-Hide Gripper seals great - hides better than B-I-N - and is latex - so the odor isn't too bad.
A coat of Gripper - after your repairs are done - two coats of Glidden Evermore Satin finish - and you are good to go!
Both Glidden products are available at The Home Depot
Yeah the BIN may smell but if gripper goes not work what have you gained.
Also if you want good paint advice stay away from the big box home centers as the guy working in the paint department was most likely in plumbing yesterday. You should go to a paint store to get the right product for the job and the best advice as that is all they sell is paint.
As for the advice at the big boxes - I can't disagree that sometimes they aren't the best as far as advice - compared to paint stores. But to say they are all bad - and paint stores are all good is a generalization I wouldn't want to make. I have seen plently of clueless people at "Paint Stores" too.
I have been in the paint business for 18 years - I have used Gripper since it was introduced almost 10 years ago. It is a great product.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- 15 Once-Popular Items Now Vanishing
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Design a Rustic Bathroom: 10 Inspirations
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 283 Great DIY Project Ideas
- The Right Path: 15 Wonderful Walkway Designs
- 10 Ways to Expand into Your Garage
- 17 Backsplashes for a Unique Kitchen
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- Make Your Small Bathroom Feel BIG
- 108 Easy Outdoor Living Ideas
- 10 Smart New Uses for Old Tires
- 14 Room Dividers to Organize Your Space
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- Facade Facelift: Simple, Affordable Ways to Make a Better First Impression
- Reconsider Aboveground Pools: 10 Reasons Why
- 5 New Uses for Old Wooden Crates
- 21 Paint Colors That Never Fail
- 1 Dozen Ways to Maximize a Small Yard
- 12 Fresh Ideas for Your Kids' Room
- 11 Beautiful Clutter-Busting Closets