I own a house built in 1959 and it has a "walkaround" corner fireplace. It was built with red bricks which has been painted an ugly gray. I was thinking of drywalling the fireplace instead of removing the gray paint from the bricks (which would take forever). How can this be done?
Are you saying that you intend to cover the fireplace over, or that you want to put drywall over the bricks and then still use the fireplace?
About the only way I can think of attaching is by gluing it to the bricks? I have attached things to brick walls with anchors, but I'm not sure how you would hit the anchors with the drywall in place. Possibly you could prop the drywall up and drill pilot holes through it into the mortor, take down the drywall and install anchors, then screw on the drywall through the pilot holes.
removing plaster from bricks
Help, my beautiful brick fireplace has paint on it!
drywall to brick
Backyard brick fireplace
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 10 IKEA Favorites Made New with Paint
- The Tiniest Appliances You Never Knew Existed
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 21 Expert Picks for Fail-Safe Colors
- 10 Fall Door DIYs for the Best House on the Block
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 15 Once-Popular Home Items Now Vanishing
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 7 Reasons to Reconsider Wallpaper
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Thrifty DIY Ways to Organize Your Home
- 12 "Different" Ways to Store Firewood
- 17 Creative Ways to Repurpose Cardboard
- Beyond White: 11 Bathroom Paint Colors
- 10 DIYs for a Festive Front Door This Fall
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!