I recently was helping a friend remove wallpaper from one of the rooms in his house when we discovered that the paint that had been applied over the wallboard was sticking to the back of the wall paper in some places, in other places it stuck to the wallboard. It does not look like the wall was primed properly. We tried using the paper tiger with DIF to no avail. At this point, the wall is a mess. There are some areas with paint and wallpaper backing on them (a huge mess), others where it is just wallboard Any ideas on what we should do? I called Home Depot who said it probably would be best to seal this wall and use a texturized faux finish, and then paint over the rest of the wall paper, but I have heard nothing but bad news with regard to that senario....HELLLLLLLLPPPP.....
My House has the same problem. I actually found that the wall paper comes off easier with out using any remover. I does tear some of the paper on the dry wall but not nearly as bad as when we used DIF. Once all the paper is off you can skim a little of drywall mud over the walls to help smooth them out or texture the walls. I hope that helps.
you can use an oil based primer over the wallpaper that is securely bonded to the wall board. You can texture over the sealed paper. The only bad thing that can happen from this is if the wallpaper is not bonded in some places-- the weight of the texture will eventually pull it off. Peel as much off as you can, make sure all that is left is bonded paper-- seal it and apply texture, you should be fine. We do this in many jobs when we encounter problems such as yours
The contractors that I deal with when they are trying to remove wallpaper and it starts to tear the face paper off the drywall they stop and repair that area. Then you prime the rest of the paper(if it is tight) with an oil based primer and then use the finish paint of your choice. I have seen paper done this way stay on the wall for 20+ years.
asbestos under old wallpaper?
Will a palm sander remove remaining wallpaper?
Preping walls after removing wallpaper
Proper prep of skim-coat before painting, post-wallp...
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 13 Lazy Cleaning Tricks for a Spotless Home
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 7 House Sounds You Never Want to Ignore
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- Worth It: 8 Renovations That Pay You Back
- Organize Your Life with 12 Dollar-Store Buys
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- Don't Make These 7 Mistakes in Small Spaces
- 20 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 15 Totally Unexpected DIY Flooring Alternatives
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 10 Closet Cures That Cost Less Than $100
- 11 Easy DIY Projects to Declutter Your Home
- 10 "Zero Dollar" Garden Hacks
- 10 Killproof Plants for a No-Effort Landscape
- 9 Insanely Easy 1-Hour Backyard Projects