How to Removing Mildew
I have a bathroom that has a deep well skylight. I also have a new powerful exhaust fan in this bathroom. Yet, I still keep getting mildew, not on the walls but on the ceiling.
About 18 months ago, I painted it with a basic bathroom enamel.
Around the ceiling corners and up in the skylight I have a build up of this Brown colored mildew.
Can you please tell me what the best way there is in removeing this mildew without removing the paint? Any mild liquid (homemade) solutions? Thanks!!!
3 parts water - 1 part bleach.
Wash the wall with this - rinse and you should be all done.
As long as you bought a good quality Semi-Gloss paint - the bleach won't hurt it.
That paint wasn't oil based was it? If so - you need to prime and re-paint with a latex topcoat - alkyd binders are food for mildew!
Also - make sure you leave your fan on AFTER your showers for about 15 minutes.
You also need to make sure the fan is working and that the vent pipe/tube is not running to far (only a couple of feet) or is kinked up and not allowing the moisture to get outside.
Oh be sure to wear rubber gloves when using the bleach solution.
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 17 Design Inspirations for Mudrooms and Entryways
- 25 Clever Ideas for Repurposed Storage
- 10 Clever Uses for the Space Under the Stairs
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 30 Things Every Homeowner Should Know How to Do
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- House Quiz: Test Your Knowledge of U.S. Architecture
- 10 Things You Can Build with Plumbing Pipes
- Sweet Dreams: 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Kitchen Envy: 10 Rooms We Love
- 16 Ingenious IKEA Hacks
- 18 Clever and Easy DIY Ways to Use Rope at Home
- 10 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- 10 Room Dividers to Bring Order to Your Space
- 9 No-Sew Fabric DIY Projects to Dress Up Any Room
- Tips and Tricks to Fit More into Less Closet Space
- Secret Rooms: 10 Special Spaces Hidden from Sight