How to Removing Mildew
I have a bathroom that has a deep well skylight. I also have a new powerful exhaust fan in this bathroom. Yet, I still keep getting mildew, not on the walls but on the ceiling.
About 18 months ago, I painted it with a basic bathroom enamel.
Around the ceiling corners and up in the skylight I have a build up of this Brown colored mildew.
Can you please tell me what the best way there is in removeing this mildew without removing the paint? Any mild liquid (homemade) solutions? Thanks!!!
3 parts water - 1 part bleach.
Wash the wall with this - rinse and you should be all done.
As long as you bought a good quality Semi-Gloss paint - the bleach won't hurt it.
That paint wasn't oil based was it? If so - you need to prime and re-paint with a latex topcoat - alkyd binders are food for mildew!
Also - make sure you leave your fan on AFTER your showers for about 15 minutes.
You also need to make sure the fan is working and that the vent pipe/tube is not running to far (only a couple of feet) or is kinked up and not allowing the moisture to get outside.
Oh be sure to wear rubber gloves when using the bleach solution.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 25 Insanely Easy-to-Make Holiday Ornaments
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 10 Classic Ways to Brighten Up a Dark Room
- 10 Quick and Creative Stocking Stuffers
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 7 Unauthorized Uses for Common Appliances
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- Best Secret Hiding Spots We've Ever Seen
- Sweet Dreams: 15 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 11 Ways to Winterize Your Home
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 10 Must-Do Projects for November
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow ANYWHERE
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 10 Bookcases You Can Make Yourself
- 7 Mistakes Not to Make with Your Fireplace
- The Easy 1-Hour Money-Saving Home Checkup
- Quick Fixes for a Fresher Shower
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Ways to Redecorate Without Spending a Dime
- The Top 10 Artificial Christmas Trees