How to Removing Mildew
I have a bathroom that has a deep well skylight. I also have a new powerful exhaust fan in this bathroom. Yet, I still keep getting mildew, not on the walls but on the ceiling.
About 18 months ago, I painted it with a basic bathroom enamel.
Around the ceiling corners and up in the skylight I have a build up of this Brown colored mildew.
Can you please tell me what the best way there is in removeing this mildew without removing the paint? Any mild liquid (homemade) solutions? Thanks!!!
3 parts water - 1 part bleach.
Wash the wall with this - rinse and you should be all done.
As long as you bought a good quality Semi-Gloss paint - the bleach won't hurt it.
That paint wasn't oil based was it? If so - you need to prime and re-paint with a latex topcoat - alkyd binders are food for mildew!
Also - make sure you leave your fan on AFTER your showers for about 15 minutes.
You also need to make sure the fan is working and that the vent pipe/tube is not running to far (only a couple of feet) or is kinked up and not allowing the moisture to get outside.
Oh be sure to wear rubber gloves when using the bleach solution.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- Make Your Bed: 9 DIY Headboards
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Space-Saving Solutions for Tiny Bedrooms
- 9 Perfect Color Combos for Your Home
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- What's the Best Color for Living Rooms?
- Favorite Space-Saving Double-Duty Furniture
- 10 Low-Cost DIY Home Security Solutions
- Redecorate Without Spending a Dime: 10 Ideas
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- 9 Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- Live Large in a (Very) Small Space
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Simple Woodworking Projects
- Is There Anything Vinegar Can't Do?
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 10 Surprisingly Smart Solutions for Junk Drawers
- Bright & Bold Colors for Your Front Door
- DIY Bookcases: 16 Easy Project Ideas
- Don't Make These 7 Fireplace Mistakes