How to Removing Mildew
I have a bathroom that has a deep well skylight. I also have a new powerful exhaust fan in this bathroom. Yet, I still keep getting mildew, not on the walls but on the ceiling.
About 18 months ago, I painted it with a basic bathroom enamel.
Around the ceiling corners and up in the skylight I have a build up of this Brown colored mildew.
Can you please tell me what the best way there is in removeing this mildew without removing the paint? Any mild liquid (homemade) solutions? Thanks!!!
3 parts water - 1 part bleach.
Wash the wall with this - rinse and you should be all done.
As long as you bought a good quality Semi-Gloss paint - the bleach won't hurt it.
That paint wasn't oil based was it? If so - you need to prime and re-paint with a latex topcoat - alkyd binders are food for mildew!
Also - make sure you leave your fan on AFTER your showers for about 15 minutes.
You also need to make sure the fan is working and that the vent pipe/tube is not running to far (only a couple of feet) or is kinked up and not allowing the moisture to get outside.
Oh be sure to wear rubber gloves when using the bleach solution.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- 15 Once-Popular Items Now Vanishing
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Design a Rustic Bathroom: 10 Inspirations
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 283 Great DIY Project Ideas
- Picture-Perfect Patios: 10 Outdoor Spaces to Love
- 10 Clever Uses for Space Under Stairs
- 17 Backsplashes for a Unique Kitchen
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 16 Ways to Use Salvaged Wood in Your Home
- 108 Easy Outdoor Living Ideas
- The Right Path: 15 Wonderful Walkway Designs
- Decked Out: 12 Innovative Outdoor Living Designs
- 14 Room Dividers to Organize Your Space
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- 15 Unexpected DIY Flooring Alternatives
- 8 (Truly) Unexpected Storage Spots
- 9 New & Familiar Ways to Add Moldings
- 1 Dozen Ways to Maximize a Small Yard
- 9 Easy-to-Make Garden Luminaries
- 11 Kitchens That Defy Their Small Size