How to Removing Mildew
I have a bathroom that has a deep well skylight. I also have a new powerful exhaust fan in this bathroom. Yet, I still keep getting mildew, not on the walls but on the ceiling.
About 18 months ago, I painted it with a basic bathroom enamel.
Around the ceiling corners and up in the skylight I have a build up of this Brown colored mildew.
Can you please tell me what the best way there is in removeing this mildew without removing the paint? Any mild liquid (homemade) solutions? Thanks!!!
3 parts water - 1 part bleach.
Wash the wall with this - rinse and you should be all done.
As long as you bought a good quality Semi-Gloss paint - the bleach won't hurt it.
That paint wasn't oil based was it? If so - you need to prime and re-paint with a latex topcoat - alkyd binders are food for mildew!
Also - make sure you leave your fan on AFTER your showers for about 15 minutes.
You also need to make sure the fan is working and that the vent pipe/tube is not running to far (only a couple of feet) or is kinked up and not allowing the moisture to get outside.
Oh be sure to wear rubber gloves when using the bleach solution.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 15 Fast Facade Fixes for Instant Curb Appeal
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Classic Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 8 DIY Storage Solutions for a Closet-less Room
- 9 Potent Cleaners You Didn't Know You Had
- 12 Hobbit Houses to Make You Consider Moving Underground
- 16 Cool DIY Coffee Tables
- 10 Fall Home Maintenance Musts
- Supersize Your Small Bath With These 8 Pro Tips
- 15 Neat Garage Storage Solutions
- Buy or Build: 15 Desks We Love
- 10 Great DIY Bookshelf Projects
- 5 Minutes Flat: 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- 10 FREE Storage Hacks
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 Ways to Use Leather in Your Next Project
- 9 Calming Colors for a Serene Home
- 9 Ways to Get on Board with Pegboard
- 17 Mini Bars to Mix Up Your Home Decor
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 8 New Ways to Use Old Wooden Crates