ie: wind driven water penetrates the stucco and makes it into the wall cavity. Unless you have this issue - I would avoid elastos because:
1. They are applied very heavily - and as such don't go too far - plus which they can be 1/3 again the price of a good 100% acrylic paint - so look to material cost being about 50% more than regular acrylic XT paint.
2. Painters often don't have the equipment or the skill to spray these products - they don't apply like regular paint - they are very thick (need a larger sprayer) and if they are not applied at the proper thickness - they don't work.
3. Elastomerics tend to mildew. In order to be flexible - they must be soft - this softness allows dust and dirt to stick to the coating - and along with the dust and dirt come mildew spores. Elastos can be a constant maintenance issue.
So unless you have a water issue......I would stick with a very good quality 100% acrylic latex exterior paint - in a satin finish.
ICI Dulux and ICI Fortis are two great products I am familiar with. These are available at ICI Paint Stores.
I sold elastos for years in S. Florida - I know from whence I speak.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 15 Fast Facade Fixes for Instant Curb Appeal
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- 17 Jaw Dropping Deck Designs for Your Home
- 10 Woodworking Projects for Beginners
- 283 Great DIY Project Ideas
- DIY Plumbing Pipe Vase
- Decorating "Rules" Meant to Be Broken
- 17 Backsplashes for a Unique Kitchen
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 16 Creative Cabinet Updates
- 10 Ways to Bring Typography Style Home
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- Make Your Own Kitchen Island: 12 Designs
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- Small Bedrooms, Huge Amounts of Style
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- Tiny Bedroom? 10 Space-Saving Solutions
- Uses for Beer & Booze Around the House
- 1 Dozen Ways to Maximize a Small Yard
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 5 Easy and Creative DIY Lamps