ie: wind driven water penetrates the stucco and makes it into the wall cavity. Unless you have this issue - I would avoid elastos because:
1. They are applied very heavily - and as such don't go too far - plus which they can be 1/3 again the price of a good 100% acrylic paint - so look to material cost being about 50% more than regular acrylic XT paint.
2. Painters often don't have the equipment or the skill to spray these products - they don't apply like regular paint - they are very thick (need a larger sprayer) and if they are not applied at the proper thickness - they don't work.
3. Elastomerics tend to mildew. In order to be flexible - they must be soft - this softness allows dust and dirt to stick to the coating - and along with the dust and dirt come mildew spores. Elastos can be a constant maintenance issue.
So unless you have a water issue......I would stick with a very good quality 100% acrylic latex exterior paint - in a satin finish.
ICI Dulux and ICI Fortis are two great products I am familiar with. These are available at ICI Paint Stores.
I sold elastos for years in S. Florida - I know from whence I speak.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- 15 Once-Popular Items Now Vanishing
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- 10 Essentials for the Perfect Modern Bath
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 283 Great DIY Project Ideas
- Picture-Perfect Patios: 10 Outdoor Spaces to Love
- 10 Clever Uses for Space Under Stairs
- 17 Backsplashes for a Unique Kitchen
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 16 Ways to Use Salvaged Wood in Your Home
- 108 Easy Outdoor Living Ideas
- The Right Path: 15 Wonderful Walkway Designs
- Stay Bite-Free with 8 High-Tech Bug Zappers
- 14 Room Dividers to Organize Your Space
- 15 Easy Steps to a Dust-Free Home
- 15 Unexpected DIY Flooring Alternatives
- Perk Up Your Garden with 10 New Perennials
- DIY Organization: 10 Cheap and Easy Ideas
- 15 "Neat" Garage Storage Solutions
- 11 Creative Ways to Reuse Cardboard Boxes
- Why You Should Reconsider Aboveground Pools