ie: wind driven water penetrates the stucco and makes it into the wall cavity. Unless you have this issue - I would avoid elastos because:
1. They are applied very heavily - and as such don't go too far - plus which they can be 1/3 again the price of a good 100% acrylic paint - so look to material cost being about 50% more than regular acrylic XT paint.
2. Painters often don't have the equipment or the skill to spray these products - they don't apply like regular paint - they are very thick (need a larger sprayer) and if they are not applied at the proper thickness - they don't work.
3. Elastomerics tend to mildew. In order to be flexible - they must be soft - this softness allows dust and dirt to stick to the coating - and along with the dust and dirt come mildew spores. Elastos can be a constant maintenance issue.
So unless you have a water issue......I would stick with a very good quality 100% acrylic latex exterior paint - in a satin finish.
ICI Dulux and ICI Fortis are two great products I am familiar with. These are available at ICI Paint Stores.
I sold elastos for years in S. Florida - I know from whence I speak.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Ways to Troubleshoot the Furnace
- 11 Real Haunted Houses to Visit--If You Dare!
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 21 Expert Picks for Fail-Safe Colors
- 10 Fall Door DIYs for the Best House on the Block
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 Unexpected Uses for Spray Paint
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 8 Amazing Handmade Kitchen Counters
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Thrifty DIY Ways to Organize Your Home
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 5 "Make in a Weekend" Bookshelf Projects
- 3 New Ways to Decorate with Fallen Leaves
- 10 "Zero Dollar" Storage Hacks
- 121 DIY Ideas for Halloween
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!