ie: wind driven water penetrates the stucco and makes it into the wall cavity. Unless you have this issue - I would avoid elastos because:
1. They are applied very heavily - and as such don't go too far - plus which they can be 1/3 again the price of a good 100% acrylic paint - so look to material cost being about 50% more than regular acrylic XT paint.
2. Painters often don't have the equipment or the skill to spray these products - they don't apply like regular paint - they are very thick (need a larger sprayer) and if they are not applied at the proper thickness - they don't work.
3. Elastomerics tend to mildew. In order to be flexible - they must be soft - this softness allows dust and dirt to stick to the coating - and along with the dust and dirt come mildew spores. Elastos can be a constant maintenance issue.
So unless you have a water issue......I would stick with a very good quality 100% acrylic latex exterior paint - in a satin finish.
ICI Dulux and ICI Fortis are two great products I am familiar with. These are available at ICI Paint Stores.
I sold elastos for years in S. Florida - I know from whence I speak.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 5 Things to Do With...Old Rakes
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Classic Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 8 DIY Storage Solutions for a Closet-less Room
- 9 Potent Cleaners You Didn't Know You Had
- 8 Great DIY Ways to Use Cinder Blocks
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 10 Fall Home Maintenance Musts
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Perfect Projects
- 8 Countertops You'd Never Believe Were Handmade
- 9 Handy Uses for Your Cordless Drill/Driver
- 5 Minutes Flat: 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- 10 FREE Storage Hacks
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Design Inspirations for Your Small Bedroom
- Deck the Doors: 10 Wreaths for Autumn Decorating
- 7 Tools to Wage War Against Leaves
- 16 Ingenious IKEA Hacks
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 10 Insanely Creative Shelves You Can DIY