Re: Painting Doors - Latex vs. enamel
Oil is harder - which is good and bad - it is harder to scratch - but it chips more easily.
If you are using white - oil will yellow - latex won't
Oil levels better - so it shows fewer brush marks - but it tends to be a little thin - so it is more likely to sag.
Tough call really - there are pros and cons to each.
I personally like either an eggshell oil (Ultra-Hide 1512) or an ICI product called Ultra-Hide Lo-Lustre (latex).
You also might try a new product ICI introduced last year - Advanced Alkyd - flows, levels, and is hard - like an alkyd - but cleans up with soap and water - has little odor - and dries to the touch in about 4 hours.
I have only limited experience with the Advanced Alkyd - but it appears to work as advertised.
These products are available at an ICI Paints Store.
"Enamel" (in common paint parlance) refers to ANY hard washable finish - LATEX OR OIL!
As the previous post implied, whether it is oil or latex is not the only variable. Semi-glossy finishes will clean up better than matte/satin/eggshell finishes.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- Make Your Bed: 9 DIY Headboards
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Space-Saving Solutions for Tiny Bedrooms
- 9 Perfect Color Combos for Your Home
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- What's the Best Color for Living Rooms?
- Favorite Space-Saving Double-Duty Furniture
- 10 Low-Cost DIY Home Security Solutions
- Redecorate Without Spending a Dime: 10 Ideas
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- 9 Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- Live Large in a (Very) Small Space
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Simple Woodworking Projects
- Is There Anything Vinegar Can't Do?
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 10 Surprisingly Smart Solutions for Junk Drawers
- Bright & Bold Colors for Your Front Door
- DIY Bookcases: 16 Easy Project Ideas
- Don't Make These 7 Fireplace Mistakes