Painting stained molding
First you will need to sand the trim to dull the finish so the primer will have something to stick to. Then you will need to wipe it downwith mineral spirits ( paint thinner) and then wash with amonia and water as this will make sure the surface is clean.
I primed my trim Duron Alkyd Enamel Undercoater and this takes 24 hours dry time before you can apply finish paint, but if you want to or need it to dry faster you can prime with Zinsser BIN. The finish paint should be an acrylic semi-gloss(I used Duron Plastic Acrylic Semi-Gloss) or gloss depending or your taste. I would not use an alkyd/oil based finish paint as they all yellow and alot don't work all that well. You most likely will need to apply 2 coats of finish paint to get even coverage over stained woodwork.
Enjoy the new look.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 21 Expert Choices for Fail-Safe Paint Colors
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 10 IKEA Favorites Made New with Paint
- The Tiniest Appliances You Never Knew Existed
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- Sweet Dreams: 15 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 10 Fall Door DIYs for the Best House on the Block
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 15 Once-Popular Home Items Now Vanishing
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 7 Reasons to Reconsider Wallpaper
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Thrifty DIY Ways to Organize Your Home
- 12 "Different" Ways to Store Firewood
- 5 DIY Farm Table Projects That Will Last a Lifetime
- Beyond White: 11 Bathroom Paint Colors
- 10 DIYs for a Festive Front Door This Fall
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!