I want to paint my basement walls but I don't know which kind of paint to use. It is cement walls (some cement brick, some just cement) and it has been painted over before we moved in. Any advice would be great.
There are no mildew problems, and there isn't a moisture problem. The walls are in fine condition.
You should check to see if the walls are painted with latex or oil based paint. You can do this by putting some GOOF OFF on a rag and lightly rubbing the paint and if it softens the paint it is latex and if not it is oil based. Once you find out what you have on the walls now you can just repaint them with finish of your choice in that type of paint. If the walls are in latex now a good choice would be one of the bathrrom paints that has a built in mildewcide as basements are prime areas for mildew.
- 10 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 11 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 12 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Kitchen Envy: 10 Rooms We Love
- 25 Clever Ideas for Repurposed Storage
- 10 Surprising Ways to Cure Household Odors
- 11 Ways to Winterize Your Home on a Budget
- 10 Ways to Live Large in a Small Space
- 10 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Dressing Up the Dresser: 11 Clever DIY Transformations
- 12 Hobbit Houses to Make You Consider Moving Underground
- 10 Ways to Use Mirrors to Your Design Advantage
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- How To: Paint EVERYTHING
- Man, Oh Man! 7 Unbelievable Guy Spaces
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 12 Wow-Worthy Woods for Kitchen Countertops
- 10 "Neat" Garage Storage Solutions
- 10 Houseplants to Improve Indoor Air Quality
- How To: Clean EVERYTHING