Painting exterior railing
Think of oil and latex paint for what they are.Oil soaks in...latex covers the surface.Latex can go over oil,but oil cannot go over latex.Your oil primer is fine on bare spots,however,if the previous paint was latex,then your finish coat should be the same.To make matters simple,you could have primed and finished in latex.
I would recommend oil primer because is grabs better on wood (in my opinion). As for the topcoat - a good quality 100% Acrylic latex will outlast any oil outside.
So - this should be - 1 coat of exterior oil primer - and 2 coats of 100% Acrylic Latex topcpoat - either Semi-Gloss or Gloss
If you use latex primer you had better use a latex top coat too.
If you use a oil primer use oil or latex top coat.Some people say this does not matter,
Everyone has their own thinking and opinions even the paint makers.
I have been doing this for awhile and their are a few old schoolers out their that say this but we have never seen this,so no matter what you should be pretty safe.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 15 Fast Facade Fixes for Instant Curb Appeal
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Classic Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 8 DIY Storage Solutions for a Closet-less Room
- 9 Potent Cleaners You Didn't Know You Had
- 12 Hobbit Houses to Make You Consider Moving Underground
- 16 Cool DIY Coffee Tables
- 10 Fall Home Maintenance Musts
- Supersize Your Small Bath With These 8 Pro Tips
- 15 Neat Garage Storage Solutions
- Buy or Build: 15 Desks We Love
- 10 Great DIY Bookshelf Projects
- 5 Minutes Flat: 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- 10 FREE Storage Hacks
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 Ways to Use Leather in Your Next Project
- 9 Calming Colors for a Serene Home
- 9 Ways to Get on Board with Pegboard
- 17 Mini Bars to Mix Up Your Home Decor
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 8 New Ways to Use Old Wooden Crates