Painting exterior railing
Think of oil and latex paint for what they are.Oil soaks in...latex covers the surface.Latex can go over oil,but oil cannot go over latex.Your oil primer is fine on bare spots,however,if the previous paint was latex,then your finish coat should be the same.To make matters simple,you could have primed and finished in latex.
I would recommend oil primer because is grabs better on wood (in my opinion). As for the topcoat - a good quality 100% Acrylic latex will outlast any oil outside.
So - this should be - 1 coat of exterior oil primer - and 2 coats of 100% Acrylic Latex topcpoat - either Semi-Gloss or Gloss
If you use latex primer you had better use a latex top coat too.
If you use a oil primer use oil or latex top coat.Some people say this does not matter,
Everyone has their own thinking and opinions even the paint makers.
I have been doing this for awhile and their are a few old schoolers out their that say this but we have never seen this,so no matter what you should be pretty safe.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Ways to Troubleshoot the Furnace
- 11 Real Haunted Houses to Visit--If You Dare!
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 21 Expert Picks for Fail-Safe Colors
- 10 Fall Door DIYs for the Best House on the Block
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 Unexpected Uses for Spray Paint
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 8 Amazing Handmade Kitchen Counters
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Thrifty DIY Ways to Organize Your Home
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 5 "Make in a Weekend" Bookshelf Projects
- 9 Decorating Lessons We Learned from Social Media
- 10 "Zero Dollar" Storage Hacks
- 121 DIY Ideas for Halloween
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!