another oil verses latex question!
I am not sure why you are using Kilz at all unless you have some type of stain to hold back such as a water stain and the latex will not do this anyway. You can use a primer made by the company that made your finish paint and save some money and get a good job to boot if all you need to do is seal up the wall before you apply a coat of say eggshell/satin over a flat paint that is already on the wall.
From Sherwin Williams Representatives email reply:::::::
You can safely apply latex over oil, or oil over latex, but only if the previous finish is (1) flat, or (2) has been sanded. If in doubt about what's there, you may want to cover first with a primer.
you can probably get 10 different opinions or responses. i found 4 different ones in about 10 minutes searching the web!!
I work for the Duron Paint company and we have 2 acrylic/latex semi-gloss paints ( signature select & genesis) that will adhear to oil enamels and and 5 that will not, so as you can see you can not make a blanket statement that all acrylics will adhear to oil enamel. So if someone goes into a home center and gets a clerk that was working in plumbing yesterday they may very well get the wrong paint and end up with a mess.
Have a great day.
People think it is always a problem such as if you use latex primer and oil topcaot that the latex will flex and such and the oil will not and thus oil will crack or break giving you a bad job I have never seen this and live in 1 of the most flexable climates their are ranging from 20 below to 100 degrees with high and low humidity.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 16 Designs for a Low-Cost DIY Coffee Table
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- 7 Surprising Other Uses for Mayonnaise
- 9 Ways to Make Your TV Look at Home
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 21 Ways to Spring Clean—Naturally
- Show Off: 9 Ways to Display a Collection
- The Best Paint Colors for Low-Light Rooms
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 8 Clever Storage Solutions for Pots & Pans
- 8 Creative OTHER Ways to Use a Closet
- 12 Tiny Gardens to Grow on a Tabletop
- 15 Eye-Catching Front Door Options
- 12 Places You Never Clean—But Should!