painting with dark colors
You should be using a 3/8" nap Purdy White Dove roller - you need to wet it and make sure it is damp before you use it - this helps the fabric load and release the product evenly.
Apply the product at about 300 square ft/gallon - this is about an 8x10 room - one coat. More than that and you are spreading it too thin - which hurts hiding.
Finally - dark colors don't hide as well as white - sometimes you need a deeptone primer. Behr doesn't make one (and Zinnser Deeptone is a waste of money - it doesn't tint dark enough) Look for a RL color next time -- RL has a deep tint primer - which works very well.
If you are not seeing the other color then you are rolling uneven and or too much in a certain area.
Alot of times I see home owners rolling out then using the roller in a little spot that was to thin only making that area darker.
As for Behr's recommendation of tinting a primer close to a color - try this:
Pick one of their red colors - the deepest one you can find.
Tint their primer with 5 oz of red colorant.
The primer will be the color of Pepto-Bismol.
Try and get the red topcoat to hide over that pink in two coats - it won't happen.
Now try a RL red - maybe Hunting Coat - use the RL Deeptone Primer.
Your RL topcoat will cover in two coats - guaranteed by ICI.
I do this all the time - this is how it works.......try it if you don't believe me.
Hope this helps out.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 25 Insanely Easy-to-Make Holiday Ornaments
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 10 Classic Ways to Brighten Up a Dark Room
- 10 Houseplants to Improve Indoor Air Quality
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 7 Unauthorized Uses for Common Appliances
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- Sweet Dreams: 15 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 11 Ways to Winterize Your Home
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 17 Creative Ways to Repurpose Cardboard
- Weekend Projects: DIY Thanksgiving Decor
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 10 Forgiving Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- Bob Vila's Top 10 Artificial Christmas Trees
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- 25 Clever Ideas for Repurposed Storage
- 7 Mistakes Not to Make with Your Fireplace
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- Best Secret Hiding Spots We've Ever Seen
- 10 Quick Fixes for a More Refreshing Shower
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Cool Shipping Container Homes
- 16 Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!