painting with dark colors
You should be using a 3/8" nap Purdy White Dove roller - you need to wet it and make sure it is damp before you use it - this helps the fabric load and release the product evenly.
Apply the product at about 300 square ft/gallon - this is about an 8x10 room - one coat. More than that and you are spreading it too thin - which hurts hiding.
Finally - dark colors don't hide as well as white - sometimes you need a deeptone primer. Behr doesn't make one (and Zinnser Deeptone is a waste of money - it doesn't tint dark enough) Look for a RL color next time -- RL has a deep tint primer - which works very well.
If you are not seeing the other color then you are rolling uneven and or too much in a certain area.
Alot of times I see home owners rolling out then using the roller in a little spot that was to thin only making that area darker.
As for Behr's recommendation of tinting a primer close to a color - try this:
Pick one of their red colors - the deepest one you can find.
Tint their primer with 5 oz of red colorant.
The primer will be the color of Pepto-Bismol.
Try and get the red topcoat to hide over that pink in two coats - it won't happen.
Now try a RL red - maybe Hunting Coat - use the RL Deeptone Primer.
Your RL topcoat will cover in two coats - guaranteed by ICI.
I do this all the time - this is how it works.......try it if you don't believe me.
Hope this helps out.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 21 Expert Choices for Fail-Safe Paint Colors
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 10 IKEA Favorites Made New with Paint
- The Tiniest Appliances You Never Knew Existed
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- Sweet Dreams: 15 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 10 Fall Door DIYs for the Best House on the Block
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 15 Once-Popular Home Items Now Vanishing
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 7 Reasons to Reconsider Wallpaper
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Thrifty DIY Ways to Organize Your Home
- 12 "Different" Ways to Store Firewood
- 5 DIY Farm Table Projects That Will Last a Lifetime
- Beyond White: 11 Bathroom Paint Colors
- 10 DIYs for a Festive Front Door This Fall
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!