painting with dark colors
You should be using a 3/8" nap Purdy White Dove roller - you need to wet it and make sure it is damp before you use it - this helps the fabric load and release the product evenly.
Apply the product at about 300 square ft/gallon - this is about an 8x10 room - one coat. More than that and you are spreading it too thin - which hurts hiding.
Finally - dark colors don't hide as well as white - sometimes you need a deeptone primer. Behr doesn't make one (and Zinnser Deeptone is a waste of money - it doesn't tint dark enough) Look for a RL color next time -- RL has a deep tint primer - which works very well.
If you are not seeing the other color then you are rolling uneven and or too much in a certain area.
Alot of times I see home owners rolling out then using the roller in a little spot that was to thin only making that area darker.
As for Behr's recommendation of tinting a primer close to a color - try this:
Pick one of their red colors - the deepest one you can find.
Tint their primer with 5 oz of red colorant.
The primer will be the color of Pepto-Bismol.
Try and get the red topcoat to hide over that pink in two coats - it won't happen.
Now try a RL red - maybe Hunting Coat - use the RL Deeptone Primer.
Your RL topcoat will cover in two coats - guaranteed by ICI.
I do this all the time - this is how it works.......try it if you don't believe me.
Hope this helps out.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 15 Fast Facade Fixes for Instant Curb Appeal
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Classic Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 8 DIY Storage Solutions for a Closet-less Room
- 9 Potent Cleaners You Didn't Know You Had
- 12 Hobbit Houses to Make You Consider Moving Underground
- 16 Cool DIY Coffee Tables
- 10 Fall Home Maintenance Musts
- Supersize Your Small Bath With These 8 Pro Tips
- 15 Neat Garage Storage Solutions
- Buy or Build: 15 Desks We Love
- 10 Great DIY Bookshelf Projects
- 5 Minutes Flat: 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- 10 FREE Storage Hacks
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 7 Ways to Make Your New House Look Old
- 11 DIYs for A Soundproofed Home
- 9 Ways to Get on Board with Pegboard
- 17 Mini Bars to Mix Up Your Home Decor
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 8 New Ways to Use Old Wooden Crates