Have been trying to stain new Weathershield wood windows, but stain doesn't penetrate well, particularly at bottom. Just beads up, mostly wipes off after the waiting period, and adding second or third coat doesn't help much. The beading also makes for blotchy areas. The grilles that come with windows take the stain pretty well. Have tried 5 brands of oil-based stain and 2 of water based. Also would like to match existing trim and windows in room that were not replaced, but the only custom blended stain I could get (Benjamin Moore) is not one of the better ones for penetrating. I have presanded and applied the conditioner. Manufacturer has not been helpful about how to do this. They did finally, after a year!, replace the windows--but they have the same problems!! I am about going to have to just replace all windows with prestained windows from another company, but surely there must be something that will work. 3 painting contractors haven't been sure they could get this to work and estimates varied hugely. Thanks for any suggestions!
There is some type of sealer that is not allowing the stain to penetrate on these windows and I can't imagine the window company not being able to help you. But in light that they don't seemm inclined to help, you should sand a window very well and skip the wood conditioner and then stain and see if that helps. You may even have to try a gel stain as that should work as they are designed to go over a sealed surface.
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 17 Design Inspirations for Mudrooms and Entryways
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Total Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 30 Things Every Homeowner Should Know How to Do
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 159 Storage Ideas for Space-Starved DIYers
- 21 "Expert Picks" for Fail-Safe Colors
- 9 Easy Ways to Kill Weeds Effectively
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- Simple “Under $60” Curb Appeal Updates for Any Home
- 10 Pretty Plants You Didn't Know Were Poisonous
- Ultimate Lawn Care Guide: 12 Steps to a Prize-Winning Yard
- 10 Room Dividers to Bring Order to Your Space
- 11 Creative Garden Borders You Can Make—Easily!
- Tips and Tricks to Fit More into Less Closet Space
- Secret Rooms: 10 Special Spaces Hidden from Sight