Have been trying to stain new Weathershield wood windows, but stain doesn't penetrate well, particularly at bottom. Just beads up, mostly wipes off after the waiting period, and adding second or third coat doesn't help much. The beading also makes for blotchy areas. The grilles that come with windows take the stain pretty well. Have tried 5 brands of oil-based stain and 2 of water based. Also would like to match existing trim and windows in room that were not replaced, but the only custom blended stain I could get (Benjamin Moore) is not one of the better ones for penetrating. I have presanded and applied the conditioner. Manufacturer has not been helpful about how to do this. They did finally, after a year!, replace the windows--but they have the same problems!! I am about going to have to just replace all windows with prestained windows from another company, but surely there must be something that will work. 3 painting contractors haven't been sure they could get this to work and estimates varied hugely. Thanks for any suggestions!
There is some type of sealer that is not allowing the stain to penetrate on these windows and I can't imagine the window company not being able to help you. But in light that they don't seemm inclined to help, you should sand a window very well and skip the wood conditioner and then stain and see if that helps. You may even have to try a gel stain as that should work as they are designed to go over a sealed surface.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Ways to Troubleshoot the Furnace
- 11 Real Haunted Houses to Visit--If You Dare!
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 21 Expert Picks for Fail-Safe Colors
- 10 Fall Door DIYs for the Best House on the Block
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 Unexpected Uses for Spray Paint
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 8 Amazing Handmade Kitchen Counters
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Thrifty DIY Ways to Organize Your Home
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 5 "Make in a Weekend" Bookshelf Projects
- 3 New Ways to Decorate with Fallen Leaves
- 10 "Zero Dollar" Storage Hacks
- 121 DIY Ideas for Halloween
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!