Have been trying to stain new Weathershield wood windows, but stain doesn't penetrate well, particularly at bottom. Just beads up, mostly wipes off after the waiting period, and adding second or third coat doesn't help much. The beading also makes for blotchy areas. The grilles that come with windows take the stain pretty well. Have tried 5 brands of oil-based stain and 2 of water based. Also would like to match existing trim and windows in room that were not replaced, but the only custom blended stain I could get (Benjamin Moore) is not one of the better ones for penetrating. I have presanded and applied the conditioner. Manufacturer has not been helpful about how to do this. They did finally, after a year!, replace the windows--but they have the same problems!! I am about going to have to just replace all windows with prestained windows from another company, but surely there must be something that will work. 3 painting contractors haven't been sure they could get this to work and estimates varied hugely. Thanks for any suggestions!
There is some type of sealer that is not allowing the stain to penetrate on these windows and I can't imagine the window company not being able to help you. But in light that they don't seemm inclined to help, you should sand a window very well and skip the wood conditioner and then stain and see if that helps. You may even have to try a gel stain as that should work as they are designed to go over a sealed surface.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- Make Your Bed: 9 DIY Headboards
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Space-Saving Solutions for Tiny Bedrooms
- 9 Perfect Color Combos for Your Home
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- What's the Best Color for Living Rooms?
- Favorite Space-Saving Double-Duty Furniture
- 10 Low-Cost DIY Home Security Solutions
- Redecorate Without Spending a Dime: 10 Ideas
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- 9 Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- Live Large in a (Very) Small Space
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Simple Woodworking Projects
- Is There Anything Vinegar Can't Do?
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 10 Surprisingly Smart Solutions for Junk Drawers
- Bright & Bold Colors for Your Front Door
- DIY Bookcases: 16 Easy Project Ideas
- Don't Make These 7 Fireplace Mistakes