How long after the plastering is completed should you wait to apply a primer coat of paint?
How long does it take for veneer plaster to dry before you apply a primer coat of paint
Ive gotten conflicting advice. I heard Norm Abrams say that the chemical cure can be 2 weeks til painting. I confirmed this with a local newspaper handyman columnist. Veneer or skimcoat? First time I heard this being different. I thought veneer on blueboard was skimcoat plaster.
There may be some that use plaster to do this type of finish and if they do you will want to wait at least 2 weeks before painting to allow it to dry and cure out. Then you will want to prime it with an acrylic undercoater, not just a latex drywall primer which is what most people will try to sell you. The acrylic will be more resistant to the alkalinity in the plaster if that is what is used to skim the walls. The acrylic undercoater will do fine no matter what was used to skim out the walls so really that is the safest way to go. When you go to the paint store they will know what you are talking about.
Blueboard, veneer plaster & water damage from pipe b...
Painting over formica
oil vs. latex & veneer plaster
Painting over stained wood
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- 15 Once-Popular Items Now Vanishing
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Design a Rustic Bathroom: 10 Inspirations
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 283 Great DIY Project Ideas
- 9 Budget Ways to Revive Your Porch
- 10 Clever Uses for Space Under Stairs
- 17 Backsplashes for a Unique Kitchen
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- Make Your Small Bathroom Feel BIG
- 108 Easy Outdoor Living Ideas
- The Right Path: 15 Wonderful Walkway Designs
- 10 Smart New Uses for Old Tires
- 14 Room Dividers to Organize Your Space
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- 15 Unexpected DIY Flooring Alternatives
- Design a Better Bedroom: 9 Strategies
- 21 Paint Colors That Never Fail
- 1 Dozen Ways to Maximize a Small Yard
- 9 Easy-to-Make Garden Luminaries
- Would You Live in a Floating Home?