How long after the plastering is completed should you wait to apply a primer coat of paint?
How long does it take for veneer plaster to dry before you apply a primer coat of paint
Ive gotten conflicting advice. I heard Norm Abrams say that the chemical cure can be 2 weeks til painting. I confirmed this with a local newspaper handyman columnist. Veneer or skimcoat? First time I heard this being different. I thought veneer on blueboard was skimcoat plaster.
There may be some that use plaster to do this type of finish and if they do you will want to wait at least 2 weeks before painting to allow it to dry and cure out. Then you will want to prime it with an acrylic undercoater, not just a latex drywall primer which is what most people will try to sell you. The acrylic will be more resistant to the alkalinity in the plaster if that is what is used to skim the walls. The acrylic undercoater will do fine no matter what was used to skim out the walls so really that is the safest way to go. When you go to the paint store they will know what you are talking about.
Blueboard, veneer plaster & water damage from pipe b...
Painting over formica
oil vs. latex & veneer plaster
Painting over stained wood
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- Make Your Bed: 9 DIY Headboards
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Space-Saving Solutions for Tiny Bedrooms
- 9 Perfect Color Combos for Your Home
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- What's the Best Color for Living Rooms?
- Favorite Space-Saving Double-Duty Furniture
- 10 Low-Cost DIY Home Security Solutions
- Redecorate Without Spending a Dime: 10 Ideas
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- 9 Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- Live Large in a (Very) Small Space
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Simple Woodworking Projects
- Is There Anything Vinegar Can't Do?
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 10 Surprisingly Smart Solutions for Junk Drawers
- Bright & Bold Colors for Your Front Door
- DIY Bookcases: 16 Easy Project Ideas
- Don't Make These 7 Fireplace Mistakes