How long after the plastering is completed should you wait to apply a primer coat of paint?
How long does it take for veneer plaster to dry before you apply a primer coat of paint
Ive gotten conflicting advice. I heard Norm Abrams say that the chemical cure can be 2 weeks til painting. I confirmed this with a local newspaper handyman columnist. Veneer or skimcoat? First time I heard this being different. I thought veneer on blueboard was skimcoat plaster.
There may be some that use plaster to do this type of finish and if they do you will want to wait at least 2 weeks before painting to allow it to dry and cure out. Then you will want to prime it with an acrylic undercoater, not just a latex drywall primer which is what most people will try to sell you. The acrylic will be more resistant to the alkalinity in the plaster if that is what is used to skim the walls. The acrylic undercoater will do fine no matter what was used to skim out the walls so really that is the safest way to go. When you go to the paint store they will know what you are talking about.
Blueboard, veneer plaster & water damage from pipe b...
Painting over formica
oil vs. latex & veneer plaster
Painting over stained wood
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 13 Lazy Cleaning Tricks for a Spotless Home
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 7 House Sounds You Never Want to Ignore
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- Worth It: 8 Renovations That Pay You Back
- Organize Your Life with 12 Dollar-Store Buys
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- Don't Make These 7 Mistakes in Small Spaces
- 20 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 15 Totally Unexpected DIY Flooring Alternatives
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 10 Closet Cures That Cost Less Than $100
- 11 Easy DIY Projects to Declutter Your Home
- 10 "Zero Dollar" Garden Hacks
- 10 Killproof Plants for a No-Effort Landscape
- 9 Insanely Easy 1-Hour Backyard Projects