How long after the plastering is completed should you wait to apply a primer coat of paint?
How long does it take for veneer plaster to dry before you apply a primer coat of paint
Ive gotten conflicting advice. I heard Norm Abrams say that the chemical cure can be 2 weeks til painting. I confirmed this with a local newspaper handyman columnist. Veneer or skimcoat? First time I heard this being different. I thought veneer on blueboard was skimcoat plaster.
There may be some that use plaster to do this type of finish and if they do you will want to wait at least 2 weeks before painting to allow it to dry and cure out. Then you will want to prime it with an acrylic undercoater, not just a latex drywall primer which is what most people will try to sell you. The acrylic will be more resistant to the alkalinity in the plaster if that is what is used to skim the walls. The acrylic undercoater will do fine no matter what was used to skim out the walls so really that is the safest way to go. When you go to the paint store they will know what you are talking about.
Blueboard, veneer plaster & water damage from pipe b...
Painting over formica
oil vs. latex & veneer plaster
Painting over stained wood
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Total Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Top 10 Classic DIY Projects for the Outdoors
- 15 Once-Popular Household Items That Are Vanishing
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Wise Ways to Get Rid of Pests and Critters
- Before and After: 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- Top Tips for Keeping Countertops Like New
- 15 Amazing Things You Can Make with $0 Scrap Wood
- 14 Ways to Get More Kitchen Counter Space
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 18 Bathroom Updates You Can Do in 1 Day
- 9 Tried-and-True Methods of Eliminating Weeds
- 15 Fast Fixes for Your Home Facade
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers