We're painting the exterior of our house and I'd like input on the proper primer to use.
The house is redwood siding that has been previously painted with oil base paint. Right now the siding is about 50% painted and 50% bare wood where the paint has peeled and/or been pressure washed off.
The topcoat will be a good quality latex paint and I'm leaning towards priming with Kilz 2 Latex primer because of the ease of cleanup, etc., but I want to make sure that it will cover the oil base paint effectively.
Anybody out there have experience with a situation like this?
Thanks for your input!
The best primer to use will be an exterior slow drying oil based primer as this is what will hold back the tannic acid that is in redwood siding. The latex primers do not block this out as they are water soluble. You also do not want to use a primer listed as a stain killer such as Kilz Original, Cover Stain Etc. as they dry to brittle for exterior use and will peel prematuraly. When you go to the paint store tell them you want their exterior oil based house primer. I know cleaning up oil based paint is not fun but if you are going to paint your house, don't you want it to hold up and last and not be peeling off in a couple of years. I would also suggest putting 2 coats of latex finish paint over the primer for the longest lasting job. If the siding is rough sawn a flat will look the best, and if it is smooth a satin would be a good choice.
Hope this helps out.
Hope this helps out.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- 15 Once-Popular Items Now Vanishing
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Design a Rustic Bathroom: 10 Inspirations
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 283 Great DIY Project Ideas
- Picture-Perfect Patios: 10 Outdoor Spaces to Love
- 10 Clever Uses for Space Under Stairs
- 17 Backsplashes for a Unique Kitchen
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 16 Ways to Use Salvaged Wood in Your Home
- 108 Easy Outdoor Living Ideas
- The Right Path: 15 Wonderful Walkway Designs
- Decked Out: 12 Innovative Outdoor Living Designs
- 14 Room Dividers to Organize Your Space
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- 15 Unexpected DIY Flooring Alternatives
- 8 (Truly) Unexpected Storage Spots
- 12 Celebrities' Cool Pools
- 1 Dozen Ways to Maximize a Small Yard
- 9 Easy-to-Make Garden Luminaries
- Colorful Kitchens: 10 Bright & Bold Designs