We're painting the exterior of our house and I'd like input on the proper primer to use.
The house is redwood siding that has been previously painted with oil base paint. Right now the siding is about 50% painted and 50% bare wood where the paint has peeled and/or been pressure washed off.
The topcoat will be a good quality latex paint and I'm leaning towards priming with Kilz 2 Latex primer because of the ease of cleanup, etc., but I want to make sure that it will cover the oil base paint effectively.
Anybody out there have experience with a situation like this?
Thanks for your input!
The best primer to use will be an exterior slow drying oil based primer as this is what will hold back the tannic acid that is in redwood siding. The latex primers do not block this out as they are water soluble. You also do not want to use a primer listed as a stain killer such as Kilz Original, Cover Stain Etc. as they dry to brittle for exterior use and will peel prematuraly. When you go to the paint store tell them you want their exterior oil based house primer. I know cleaning up oil based paint is not fun but if you are going to paint your house, don't you want it to hold up and last and not be peeling off in a couple of years. I would also suggest putting 2 coats of latex finish paint over the primer for the longest lasting job. If the siding is rough sawn a flat will look the best, and if it is smooth a satin would be a good choice.
Hope this helps out.
Hope this helps out.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 15 Fast Facade Fixes for Instant Curb Appeal
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 7 Smart Shoe Racks You Can Make Today
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Clearing the Air: 10 Natural Ways to Remedy Household Odors
- 12 Hobbit Houses to Make You Consider Moving Underground
- 16 Cool DIY Coffee Tables
- 10 Fall Home Maintenance Musts
- Celebrity Kitchens: Get the Look
- 15 Neat Garage Storage Solutions
- Buy or Build: 15 Desks We Love
- 10 Great DIY Bookshelf Projects
- Believe It or Not: 9 Incredible Faux Finishes You Can Do Yourself
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- 10 FREE Storage Hacks
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 "Must Do" September Projects
- 9 Calming Colors for a Serene Home
- 16 Easy Ideas for Customized Cabinets
- 17 Mini Bars to Mix Up Your Home Decor
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 12 Unique DIY Kitchen Island Designs