We're painting the exterior of our house and I'd like input on the proper primer to use.
The house is redwood siding that has been previously painted with oil base paint. Right now the siding is about 50% painted and 50% bare wood where the paint has peeled and/or been pressure washed off.
The topcoat will be a good quality latex paint and I'm leaning towards priming with Kilz 2 Latex primer because of the ease of cleanup, etc., but I want to make sure that it will cover the oil base paint effectively.
Anybody out there have experience with a situation like this?
Thanks for your input!
The best primer to use will be an exterior slow drying oil based primer as this is what will hold back the tannic acid that is in redwood siding. The latex primers do not block this out as they are water soluble. You also do not want to use a primer listed as a stain killer such as Kilz Original, Cover Stain Etc. as they dry to brittle for exterior use and will peel prematuraly. When you go to the paint store tell them you want their exterior oil based house primer. I know cleaning up oil based paint is not fun but if you are going to paint your house, don't you want it to hold up and last and not be peeling off in a couple of years. I would also suggest putting 2 coats of latex finish paint over the primer for the longest lasting job. If the siding is rough sawn a flat will look the best, and if it is smooth a satin would be a good choice.
Hope this helps out.
Hope this helps out.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- Make Your Bed: 9 DIY Headboards
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Space-Saving Solutions for Tiny Bedrooms
- 9 Perfect Color Combos for Your Home
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- What's the Best Color for Living Rooms?
- Favorite Space-Saving Double-Duty Furniture
- 10 Low-Cost DIY Home Security Solutions
- Redecorate Without Spending a Dime: 10 Ideas
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- 9 Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- Live Large in a (Very) Small Space
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Simple Woodworking Projects
- Is There Anything Vinegar Can't Do?
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 10 Surprisingly Smart Solutions for Junk Drawers
- Bright & Bold Colors for Your Front Door
- DIY Bookcases: 16 Easy Project Ideas
- Don't Make These 7 Fireplace Mistakes