I have a 7 year old stucco house, located in Central Florida, that was painted with flat latex paint. The existing paint is slightly faded, is not chalking and seems to be in good condition. I intend to repaint using acrylic. Local painting contractors and paint stores are recomending the use of satin rather then flat type paint. When I quesion what advantages satin paint offers over flat paint, the response I receive is that dirt will not stick to satin paint like it will to flat paint. I have not had a problem with dirt sticking to the existing flat paint. Is there any other advantage for using satin paint over flat paint? I kinda like the appearance of the flat paint but if there is a REAL advantange like better adhesion, better coverage, better color retension, I would consider using satin. All comments welcome.
The idea of putting a paint with any sheen on stucco does not make aesthetic sense to me. I have always used flat finishes on stucco, and don't expect to change. I am seeing more satin finishes put on conventional wood and cement composite siding, but as I look around my California neighborhoods with million dollar homes stucco exteriors, I don't see ANY finished in a satin or reflective coating. I assume you will spray apply your paint, and this smooth application method would accentuate any sheen. Go flat.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 16 Designs for a Low-Cost DIY Coffee Table
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- 7 Surprising Other Uses for Mayonnaise
- 9 Ways to Make Your TV Look at Home
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 11 Lessons to Learn from AirBnB's Tiniest Homes
- 10 DIY Ways to Redo Your Wall—Without Paint
- 8 Smart Shoe Racks You Can Make Today
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- Worth It: 8 Renovations That Pay You Back
- 7 House Sounds Never to Ignore
- Watch These 10 Home Trends Take Off in 2015
- 11 Things Never to Keep in Your Bedroom
- 12 Places You Never Clean—But Should!