We're thinking of painting the interior of our new garage to make it cleaner looking. It's currently just drywall. What kind of paint and preparation do we need?
This should be a pretty easy project. Use a quality acrylic primer and acrylic wall paint. You can probably use interior paints, but exterior is OK. Recommend you you go to a paint store for assistance, and if you apply color, pretint the primer. As far as preparation, if the walls are taped, finished and/or textured, you just need to brush them down with a broom or shop-vac to make them dust and spiderweb free. Roll or spray, then enjoy.
It has been my experence that the drywall starts to break down and if you use an acrylic primer it will bleed through. The primer to use to be really safe will be a pigmented shellac primer as this will hold back the bleed through. I would not take a chance with the latex primer as if it does discolor you will putting the shellac priemr on anyway, so why take the chance. The finish paint can thne be the interior latex finish paint of your choice.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 25 Insanely Easy-to-Make Holiday Ornaments
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 10 Classic Ways to Brighten Up a Dark Room
- 10 Houseplants to Improve Indoor Air Quality
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 7 Unauthorized Uses for Common Appliances
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- Best Secret Hiding Spots We've Ever Seen
- Sweet Dreams: 15 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 11 Ways to Winterize Your Home
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 17 Creative Ways to Repurpose Cardboard
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow ANYWHERE
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 10 Bookcases You Can Make Yourself
- 7 Mistakes Not to Make with Your Fireplace
- The Easy 1-Hour Money-Saving Home Checkup
- Quick Fixes for a Fresher Shower
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Ways to Redecorate Without Spending a Dime
- 16 Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!