Years ago, I must have put latex over oil based ceiling paint and parts of the paint just peeled right off - I tried to fix it (I'm blushing) by putting some sandpaint over it - didn't work :-)
Now, ready to repair. Options:
1.Painters (paid ones) say it's never going to look good or even but just paint over it and add some sandpaint to paint and live with it.
2. drywall the ceiling - it's currently plaster and in good shape other than the paint which I ruined.
3. I took a spray bottle of vinegar and water and just sprayed the ceiling lightly and the paint, sandpaint included peels right off - down to the brownish colored plaster. It's tedious but I could continue along this line and then have a smooth ceiling to paint BUT how do I know if I'm removing lead paint with this process? - house was built in 1941
Is there a lead paint test kit I can get and does anyone have any other suggestions?
Thank you so very much! Boy am I learning a lot!
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- Make Your Bed: 9 DIY Headboards
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Space-Saving Solutions for Tiny Bedrooms
- 9 Perfect Color Combos for Your Home
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- What's the Best Color for Living Rooms?
- Favorite Space-Saving Double-Duty Furniture
- 10 Low-Cost DIY Home Security Solutions
- Redecorate Without Spending a Dime: 10 Ideas
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- 9 Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- Live Large in a (Very) Small Space
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Simple Woodworking Projects
- Is There Anything Vinegar Can't Do?
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 10 Surprisingly Smart Solutions for Junk Drawers
- Bright & Bold Colors for Your Front Door
- DIY Bookcases: 16 Easy Project Ideas
- Don't Make These 7 Fireplace Mistakes