Most northeast codes allow only 3 roof layers maximum...so adding a 4th metal roof layer is probably not an option.
That said, a metal roof is much much more expensive than composite shingles.
After removal, you could expect to pay perhaps $150 per square to install new composite shingles (depending upon slope and complexity) and at least $500 per square or more for a new metal roof....
K2's experience with snow avalance off metal roof is unfortunately common. Here too, an good roofer experienced in metal installation would have priced in, and installed the appropriate snow fall protection. However, too many salesmen focus on the sale of their product, and ignore the other aspects of the roof system that should really be looked at (insulation, ventilation, snow fall location, etc.).
As well, "expensive" is relative. A "cheap" installation can be much more expensive than an "expensive" installation if the workmanship is not there.
Oh, and when you find a good roofer - don't nickle and dime them, they are worth more to you than anything you can pay them.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- 15 Once-Popular Items Now Vanishing
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- 10 Amazing Homes Made from Shipping Containers
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 283 Great DIY Project Ideas
- Picture-Perfect Patios: 10 Outdoor Spaces to Love
- 10 Clever Uses for Space Under Stairs
- 17 Backsplashes for a Unique Kitchen
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 16 Ways to Use Salvaged Wood in Your Home
- Natural Swimming Pools: 10 Reasons to Jump In
- 108 Easy Outdoor Living Ideas
- 14 Room Dividers to Organize Your Space
- Quick Tips for Tackling 10 Clutter Hot Spots
- The Right Path: 15 Wonderful Walkway Designs
- 15 "Neat" Garage Storage Solutions
- 15 Unexpected DIY Flooring Alternatives
- 11 Creative Ways to Reuse Cardboard Boxes
- DIY Organization: 10 Cheap and Easy Ideas
- 15 Easy Steps to a Dust-Free Home
- 5 Common Lawn Problems—and How to Fix Them