Most northeast codes allow only 3 roof layers maximum...so adding a 4th metal roof layer is probably not an option.
That said, a metal roof is much much more expensive than composite shingles.
After removal, you could expect to pay perhaps $150 per square to install new composite shingles (depending upon slope and complexity) and at least $500 per square or more for a new metal roof....
K2's experience with snow avalance off metal roof is unfortunately common. Here too, an good roofer experienced in metal installation would have priced in, and installed the appropriate snow fall protection. However, too many salesmen focus on the sale of their product, and ignore the other aspects of the roof system that should really be looked at (insulation, ventilation, snow fall location, etc.).
As well, "expensive" is relative. A "cheap" installation can be much more expensive than an "expensive" installation if the workmanship is not there.
Oh, and when you find a good roofer - don't nickle and dime them, they are worth more to you than anything you can pay them.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Ways to Troubleshoot Furnace Problems (Before Calling In the Pros)
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Classic Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- DIY Workbenches: 5 You Can Build in a Weekend
- 7 DIY Ways to Reuse a 5-Gal Bucket
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 Unexpected Uses for Spray Paint
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 8 Amazing Handmade Kitchen Counters
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Knock-Your-Socks-Off Laundry Room Ideas
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 5 "Make in a Weekend" Bookshelf Projects
- 9 Decorating Lessons We Learned from Social Media
- Three Ways to Find a Wall Stud (Without Fancy Equipment)
- 16 Ingenious IKEA Hacks
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!