Most northeast codes allow only 3 roof layers maximum...so adding a 4th metal roof layer is probably not an option.
That said, a metal roof is much much more expensive than composite shingles.
After removal, you could expect to pay perhaps $150 per square to install new composite shingles (depending upon slope and complexity) and at least $500 per square or more for a new metal roof....
K2's experience with snow avalance off metal roof is unfortunately common. Here too, an good roofer experienced in metal installation would have priced in, and installed the appropriate snow fall protection. However, too many salesmen focus on the sale of their product, and ignore the other aspects of the roof system that should really be looked at (insulation, ventilation, snow fall location, etc.).
As well, "expensive" is relative. A "cheap" installation can be much more expensive than an "expensive" installation if the workmanship is not there.
Oh, and when you find a good roofer - don't nickle and dime them, they are worth more to you than anything you can pay them.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- World's Most Amazing Slip 'N Slide
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- 10 Steps to Paradise in Your Own Backyard
- 47 Industrial Kitchens
- 283 Great DIY Project Ideas
- 15 Plants Perfect for Hanging Baskets
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 17 Backsplashes for a Unique Kitchen
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 16 Creative Cabinet Updates
- Buy or Build: 15 Desks We Love
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- Make Your Own Kitchen Island: 12 Designs
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- Corral Kids' Clutter with 15 DIY Storage Ideas
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- Tiny Bedroom? 10 Space-Saving Solutions
- 5 DIY Porch Swings Perfect for Summer
- 1 Dozen Ways to Maximize a Small Yard
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 5 Easy and Creative DIY Lamps