In our house, we stripped all the ceiling popcorn, exposing plain drywall and joint compound. I have repaired most of the torn paper and also frayed joints with joint compund and sanded most of the rough surface. I only had to repair < 10% of the entire ceiling -- the rest was perfectly fine. I did not apply fresh mud all over the ceiling. I just repaired very small
areas (nail holes, minor scratches, etc) that were visible after the popcorn ceiling was scraped off
What would be a good primer/surfacer for this situation before I paint?
I looked at USG Tuff-Hide but it is a "Spray only" product and I can't use it inside the house. I need something that can be rolled on.
Is "drywall First Coat" a good product to use? I guess it is not a surfacer. Is it a good "primer" too?
Someone recommended "Hamilton prep coat plus" as the perfect product for this but I'm not sure if it is better than USG First Coat.
I will apply one or two coats of a good quality paint on top of the primer/surfacer.
If this ceilings has some age on it and I take it does as you are removing popcorn texture from it. The safest primer to use will be an oil based stain killer as older drywall will bleed through a amber colored stain if you prime with a latex primer. I have seen this happen on jobs and they ended up priming with the oil based anyway after the latex. Then you will be able to apply the latex topcoat of your choice.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- 15 Once-Popular Items Now Vanishing
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- 10 Amazing Homes Made from Shipping Containers
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 283 Great DIY Project Ideas
- Picture-Perfect Patios: 10 Outdoor Spaces to Love
- 10 Clever Uses for Space Under Stairs
- 17 Backsplashes for a Unique Kitchen
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 16 Ways to Use Salvaged Wood in Your Home
- Natural Swimming Pools: 10 Reasons to Jump In
- 108 Easy Outdoor Living Ideas
- 14 Room Dividers to Organize Your Space
- Quick Tips for Tackling 10 Clutter Hot Spots
- The Right Path: 15 Wonderful Walkway Designs
- 15 "Neat" Garage Storage Solutions
- 15 Unexpected DIY Flooring Alternatives
- 11 Creative Ways to Reuse Cardboard Boxes
- DIY Organization: 10 Cheap and Easy Ideas
- 15 Easy Steps to a Dust-Free Home
- 5 Common Lawn Problems—and How to Fix Them