The former owners of the house removed some of the wallpaper, but left it in some areas (like inside closets) and then painted 2-3 coats of paint (each a different color) over that. In the places where they removed the paper, they just ripped sections of it out at random (they did not use a knife to cut the paper off) and did not remove the underlying glue.
I have painstakingly cleaned down to the bare plaster whole walls of 2-3 coats of paint which were over wallpaper. The problem is that where there was no wallpaper underneath there are ragged edges of the three layers of paint. Also, in some areas they painted over remaining wallpaper glue so the texture is rough and also must be sanded.
I've been told that this must be hand sanded but this would literally take me years to do by hand even if I had enough time and could bear down on it enough to get it smooth between the parts with 3 coats of paint and the raw plaster areas.
Should I get a rotary sander or is there some other way to smooth over these differing texture areas.
Damaged Drywall & Texture
repairing pin holes and dimples before painting drywall
I know I'll get it for this, but
Removing Wallpaper from Wallboard
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 10 IKEA Favorites Made New with Paint
- The Tiniest Appliances You Never Knew Existed
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 21 Expert Picks for Fail-Safe Colors
- 10 Fall Door DIYs for the Best House on the Block
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 15 Once-Popular Home Items Now Vanishing
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 7 Reasons to Reconsider Wallpaper
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Thrifty DIY Ways to Organize Your Home
- 12 "Different" Ways to Store Firewood
- 17 Creative Ways to Repurpose Cardboard
- Beyond White: 11 Bathroom Paint Colors
- 10 DIYs for a Festive Front Door This Fall
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!