The former owners of the house removed some of the wallpaper, but left it in some areas (like inside closets) and then painted 2-3 coats of paint (each a different color) over that. In the places where they removed the paper, they just ripped sections of it out at random (they did not use a knife to cut the paper off) and did not remove the underlying glue.
I have painstakingly cleaned down to the bare plaster whole walls of 2-3 coats of paint which were over wallpaper. The problem is that where there was no wallpaper underneath there are ragged edges of the three layers of paint. Also, in some areas they painted over remaining wallpaper glue so the texture is rough and also must be sanded.
I've been told that this must be hand sanded but this would literally take me years to do by hand even if I had enough time and could bear down on it enough to get it smooth between the parts with 3 coats of paint and the raw plaster areas.
Should I get a rotary sander or is there some other way to smooth over these differing texture areas.
Damaged Drywall & Texture
repairing pin holes and dimples before painting drywall
I know I'll get it for this, but
Removing Wallpaper from Wallboard
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- Make Your Bed: 9 DIY Headboards
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Space-Saving Solutions for Tiny Bedrooms
- 9 Perfect Color Combos for Your Home
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- What's the Best Color for Living Rooms?
- Favorite Space-Saving Double-Duty Furniture
- 10 Low-Cost DIY Home Security Solutions
- Redecorate Without Spending a Dime: 10 Ideas
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- 9 Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- Live Large in a (Very) Small Space
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Simple Woodworking Projects
- Is There Anything Vinegar Can't Do?
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 10 Surprisingly Smart Solutions for Junk Drawers
- Bright & Bold Colors for Your Front Door
- DIY Bookcases: 16 Easy Project Ideas
- Don't Make These 7 Fireplace Mistakes