Tar and Gravel Roof Replacement
We have had 4-5 roofers come by and check out if it needs to be repaired or replaced. It can last a year or two longer, but we are thinking of putting a new roof on. Here is the problem. Some say you can't put a metal roof on, others say you can. Some say you can put composite shingles on, some say no.
We are looking at a galvalume metal roof that is screwed down. What is the best roof to put on a roof like this? Is metal ok or are we asking for trouble.
Thanks in advance
The low-slope panels we've seen all have hidden fasteners or hidden clips, and designed to prevent water from getting past the joints to where the fasteners attach the panels to the roof. If the panels are screwed through the surface that is exposed to the weather, then they are steep-roof material.
In a low-slope application, you have to expect that there will be an accumulation of snow on the surface, which can then be saturated by water. This then creates hydrostatic pressure which allows the water to push into any open holes or joints. Low-slope materials are designed to prevent such water from entering the area where the panels are fastened.
Hope that makes things clear.
roof repaired but water trapped between wood ceiling
Building roof replacement
Gravel not scraping off
Leaky Flat roof
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- World's Most Amazing Slip 'N Slide
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- 11 Big Ideas for Small Kitchens
- 47 Industrial Kitchens
- 283 Great DIY Project Ideas
- The Right Path: 15 Wonderful Walkway Designs
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 17 Backsplashes for a Unique Kitchen
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 18 Bathroom Updates You Can Do in a Day
- Easy DIY Fixes for 11 Annoying House Problems
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- 14 Room Dividers to Organize Your Space
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- Make Good Use of Old Junk: 14 Creative Ideas
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- 10 Smart Solutions for Small Bedrooms
- 5 DIY Porch Swings Perfect for Summer
- 1 Dozen Ways to Maximize a Small Yard
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 5 Easy and Creative DIY Lamps