Tar and Gravel Roof Replacement
We have had 4-5 roofers come by and check out if it needs to be repaired or replaced. It can last a year or two longer, but we are thinking of putting a new roof on. Here is the problem. Some say you can't put a metal roof on, others say you can. Some say you can put composite shingles on, some say no.
We are looking at a galvalume metal roof that is screwed down. What is the best roof to put on a roof like this? Is metal ok or are we asking for trouble.
Thanks in advance
The low-slope panels we've seen all have hidden fasteners or hidden clips, and designed to prevent water from getting past the joints to where the fasteners attach the panels to the roof. If the panels are screwed through the surface that is exposed to the weather, then they are steep-roof material.
In a low-slope application, you have to expect that there will be an accumulation of snow on the surface, which can then be saturated by water. This then creates hydrostatic pressure which allows the water to push into any open holes or joints. Low-slope materials are designed to prevent such water from entering the area where the panels are fastened.
Hope that makes things clear.
roof repaired but water trapped between wood ceiling
Building roof replacement
Gravel not scraping off
Leaky Flat roof
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 5 Rakes Every Homeowner Should Know
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Classic Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 8 DIY Storage Solutions for a Closet-less Room
- 9 Potent Cleaners You Didn't Know You Had
- 8 Great DIY Ways to Use Cinder Blocks
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 10 Fall Home Maintenance Musts
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Perfect Projects
- 8 Countertops You'd Never Believe Were Handmade
- 13 Terror-ific Yards All Decked Out for Halloween
- 5 Minutes Flat: 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- 10 FREE Storage Hacks
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Design Inspirations for Your Small Bedroom
- Deck the Doors: 10 Wreaths for Autumn Decorating
- 7 Tools to Wage War Against Leaves
- 16 Ingenious IKEA Hacks
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 10 Insanely Creative Shelves You Can DIY