Tar and Gravel Roof Replacement
We have had 4-5 roofers come by and check out if it needs to be repaired or replaced. It can last a year or two longer, but we are thinking of putting a new roof on. Here is the problem. Some say you can't put a metal roof on, others say you can. Some say you can put composite shingles on, some say no.
We are looking at a galvalume metal roof that is screwed down. What is the best roof to put on a roof like this? Is metal ok or are we asking for trouble.
Thanks in advance
The low-slope panels we've seen all have hidden fasteners or hidden clips, and designed to prevent water from getting past the joints to where the fasteners attach the panels to the roof. If the panels are screwed through the surface that is exposed to the weather, then they are steep-roof material.
In a low-slope application, you have to expect that there will be an accumulation of snow on the surface, which can then be saturated by water. This then creates hydrostatic pressure which allows the water to push into any open holes or joints. Low-slope materials are designed to prevent such water from entering the area where the panels are fastened.
Hope that makes things clear.
roof repaired but water trapped between wood ceiling
Building roof replacement
Gravel not scraping off
Leaky Flat roof
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 25 Insanely Easy-to-Make Holiday Ornaments
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 10 Classic Ways to Brighten Up a Dark Room
- 10 Houseplants to Improve Indoor Air Quality
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 7 Unauthorized Uses for Common Appliances
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- Sweet Dreams: 15 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 11 Ways to Winterize Your Home
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 17 Creative Ways to Repurpose Cardboard
- Weekend Projects: DIY Thanksgiving Decor
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 10 Forgiving Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- Bob Vila's Top 10 Artificial Christmas Trees
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- 25 Clever Ideas for Repurposed Storage
- 7 Mistakes Not to Make with Your Fireplace
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- Best Secret Hiding Spots We've Ever Seen
- 10 Quick Fixes for a More Refreshing Shower
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Cool Shipping Container Homes
- 16 Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!