Tar and Gravel Roof Replacement
We have had 4-5 roofers come by and check out if it needs to be repaired or replaced. It can last a year or two longer, but we are thinking of putting a new roof on. Here is the problem. Some say you can't put a metal roof on, others say you can. Some say you can put composite shingles on, some say no.
We are looking at a galvalume metal roof that is screwed down. What is the best roof to put on a roof like this? Is metal ok or are we asking for trouble.
Thanks in advance
The low-slope panels we've seen all have hidden fasteners or hidden clips, and designed to prevent water from getting past the joints to where the fasteners attach the panels to the roof. If the panels are screwed through the surface that is exposed to the weather, then they are steep-roof material.
In a low-slope application, you have to expect that there will be an accumulation of snow on the surface, which can then be saturated by water. This then creates hydrostatic pressure which allows the water to push into any open holes or joints. Low-slope materials are designed to prevent such water from entering the area where the panels are fastened.
Hope that makes things clear.
roof repaired but water trapped between wood ceiling
Building roof replacement
Gravel not scraping off
Leaky Flat roof
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 13 Lazy Cleaning Tricks for a Spotless Home
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 7 House Sounds You Never Want to Ignore
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- Worth It: 8 Renovations That Pay You Back
- Organize Your Life with 12 Dollar-Store Buys
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- Don't Make These 7 Mistakes in Small Spaces
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 15 Totally Unexpected DIY Flooring Alternatives
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 10 Closet Cures That Cost Less Than $100
- 11 Easy DIY Projects to Declutter Your Home
- 10 "Zero Dollar" Garden Hacks
- 10 Killproof Plants for a No-Effort Landscape
- 9 Insanely Easy 1-Hour Backyard Projects