A few years back I "antiqued" some walls in an apartment by using beige and yellow colored backgrounds (2 separate rooms) and then brushed straight glazing over the top to soften and antique. The apartment has been rented the past few years and I need to touch up the walls after an upcoming move-out. Should I decide to repaint in a plain same or different color with no glazing, can I paint directly over the old glazed wall or do I have to remove the glazing, or cover the glazing, with something prior to painting?
Thank you kindly.
I would sand the wals to dull the sheen of the glaze and wipe off the sanding dust. Then you will want to prime the walls with a bonding type primer such as Zinsser 123 and apply your finish paint over that. The reason you need to do all of this is a glaze is very much like a varnish and can be hard to get paint to stick to it.
Does a detached studio/workshop need to follow speci...
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Ways to Troubleshoot Furnace Problems (Before Calling In the Pros)
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Classic Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- DIY Workbenches: 5 You Can Build in a Weekend
- 7 DIY Ways to Reuse a 5-Gal Bucket
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 Unexpected Uses for Spray Paint
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 8 Amazing Handmade Kitchen Counters
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Knock-Your-Socks-Off Laundry Room Ideas
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 5 "Make in a Weekend" Bookshelf Projects
- 9 Decorating Lessons We Learned from Social Media
- Three Ways to Find a Wall Stud (Without Fancy Equipment)
- 16 Ingenious IKEA Hacks
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!