the house that i bought has unfinished drywall in the basement and it all needs to be taped. There is some spots that have about 1/2 inch gap between the sheets. Should i fill them with compound first and let it dry and sand or would it be ok to just start the tape job.
A 1/2 inch gap is pretty easy to deal with if you use setting type compound. This is a dry mix that has a setting time labeled on the package of 20, 40, 60 or 90 minutes. I like 40 for most jobs, but if you need more or less working time buy accordingly. Fill the cracks with compound, apply the tape, then embed the tape. Finish normally with either setting or premixed joint compound.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 16 Designs for a Low-Cost DIY Coffee Table
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- 7 Surprising Other Uses for Mayonnaise
- 9 Ways to Make Your TV Look at Home
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 21 Ways to Spring Clean—Naturally
- Show Off: 9 Ways to Display a Collection
- The Best Paint Colors for Low-Light Rooms
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 8 Clever Storage Solutions for Pots & Pans
- 8 Creative OTHER Ways to Use a Closet
- 12 Tiny Gardens to Grow on a Tabletop
- 15 Eye-Catching Front Door Options
- 12 Places You Never Clean—But Should!