We are renovating and found an old claw foot tub at a yard sale. It was made in 1923 so was a buy. The people had spray painted it but we are not sure with what kind of paint. What we would like to know is how do we refinish the inside of the tub so it looks almost as good as new? There are so many products on the market we are not sure what to use.
There are companies that do tub refinishing and that is the best way to go about this project. That is if you want it look new and stay that way and definitly if you are going to use the tub for bathing.
I definitely agree with the previous response. I have had tubs refinished professionally, and they turn out nice. Be aware, however, that they use a paint-like product, that eventually starts to peel revealing the old finish. The original finish was a baked on enamel -- nothing will outlast that. If you can get to the original enamel and it is not too terrible, stay with it. I have also seen people buy do-it-yourself tub refinish kits, and I have never seen good results. The exteriors of tubs were sometimes not enameled. You should feel free to paint it any color you like. Black is common, but I have also seen nice fish murals. Leave the inside to the experts.
how to fix leak into overflow tube?
Peeling paint on new green board
GE gas oven not working, but stovetop is working? H...
Old claw foot bathtub
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- Make Your Bed: 9 DIY Headboards
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Space-Saving Solutions for Tiny Bedrooms
- 9 Perfect Color Combos for Your Home
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- What's the Best Color for Living Rooms?
- Favorite Space-Saving Double-Duty Furniture
- 10 Low-Cost DIY Home Security Solutions
- Redecorate Without Spending a Dime: 10 Ideas
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- 9 Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- Live Large in a (Very) Small Space
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Simple Woodworking Projects
- Is There Anything Vinegar Can't Do?
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 10 Surprisingly Smart Solutions for Junk Drawers
- Bright & Bold Colors for Your Front Door
- DIY Bookcases: 16 Easy Project Ideas
- Don't Make These 7 Fireplace Mistakes