We are renovating and found an old claw foot tub at a yard sale. It was made in 1923 so was a buy. The people had spray painted it but we are not sure with what kind of paint. What we would like to know is how do we refinish the inside of the tub so it looks almost as good as new? There are so many products on the market we are not sure what to use.
There are companies that do tub refinishing and that is the best way to go about this project. That is if you want it look new and stay that way and definitly if you are going to use the tub for bathing.
I definitely agree with the previous response. I have had tubs refinished professionally, and they turn out nice. Be aware, however, that they use a paint-like product, that eventually starts to peel revealing the old finish. The original finish was a baked on enamel -- nothing will outlast that. If you can get to the original enamel and it is not too terrible, stay with it. I have also seen people buy do-it-yourself tub refinish kits, and I have never seen good results. The exteriors of tubs were sometimes not enameled. You should feel free to paint it any color you like. Black is common, but I have also seen nice fish murals. Leave the inside to the experts.
how to fix leak into overflow tube?
Peeling paint on new green board
GE gas oven not working, but stovetop is working? H...
Old claw foot bathtub
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 15 Fast Facade Fixes for Instant Curb Appeal
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 7 Smart Shoe Racks You Can Make Today
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- 11 Beautiful Clutter-Busting Closets
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- 16 Cool DIY Coffee Tables
- 10 Fall Home Maintenance Musts
- 7 Powerful Cleaners in Your Pantry
- 10 DIY Ways to Dress Up Your House for Fall
- Buy or Build: 15 Desks We Love
- 10 Great DIY Bookshelf Projects
- 26 Easy Painted Halloween Pumpkins
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- 10 FREE Storage Hacks
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 "Must Do" September Projects
- 9 Calming Colors for a Serene Home
- 16 Easy Ideas for Customized Cabinets
- 17 Mini Bars to Mix Up Your Home Decor
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 12 Unique DIY Kitchen Island Designs