We are renovating and found an old claw foot tub at a yard sale. It was made in 1923 so was a buy. The people had spray painted it but we are not sure with what kind of paint. What we would like to know is how do we refinish the inside of the tub so it looks almost as good as new? There are so many products on the market we are not sure what to use.
There are companies that do tub refinishing and that is the best way to go about this project. That is if you want it look new and stay that way and definitly if you are going to use the tub for bathing.
I definitely agree with the previous response. I have had tubs refinished professionally, and they turn out nice. Be aware, however, that they use a paint-like product, that eventually starts to peel revealing the old finish. The original finish was a baked on enamel -- nothing will outlast that. If you can get to the original enamel and it is not too terrible, stay with it. I have also seen people buy do-it-yourself tub refinish kits, and I have never seen good results. The exteriors of tubs were sometimes not enameled. You should feel free to paint it any color you like. Black is common, but I have also seen nice fish murals. Leave the inside to the experts.
how to fix leak into overflow tube?
Peeling paint on new green board
GE gas oven not working, but stovetop is working? H...
Old claw foot bathtub
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 21 Expert Choices for Fail-Safe Paint Colors
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 10 IKEA Favorites Made New with Paint
- The Tiniest Appliances You Never Knew Existed
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- Sweet Dreams: 15 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 10 Fall Door DIYs for the Best House on the Block
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 15 Once-Popular Home Items Now Vanishing
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 7 Reasons to Reconsider Wallpaper
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Thrifty DIY Ways to Organize Your Home
- 12 "Different" Ways to Store Firewood
- 5 DIY Farm Table Projects That Will Last a Lifetime
- Beyond White: 11 Bathroom Paint Colors
- 10 DIYs for a Festive Front Door This Fall
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!