We are renovating and found an old claw foot tub at a yard sale. It was made in 1923 so was a buy. The people had spray painted it but we are not sure with what kind of paint. What we would like to know is how do we refinish the inside of the tub so it looks almost as good as new? There are so many products on the market we are not sure what to use.
There are companies that do tub refinishing and that is the best way to go about this project. That is if you want it look new and stay that way and definitly if you are going to use the tub for bathing.
I definitely agree with the previous response. I have had tubs refinished professionally, and they turn out nice. Be aware, however, that they use a paint-like product, that eventually starts to peel revealing the old finish. The original finish was a baked on enamel -- nothing will outlast that. If you can get to the original enamel and it is not too terrible, stay with it. I have also seen people buy do-it-yourself tub refinish kits, and I have never seen good results. The exteriors of tubs were sometimes not enameled. You should feel free to paint it any color you like. Black is common, but I have also seen nice fish murals. Leave the inside to the experts.
how to fix leak into overflow tube?
Peeling paint on new green board
GE gas oven not working, but stovetop is working? H...
Old claw foot bathtub
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- 15 Once-Popular Items Now Vanishing
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- 10 Amazing Homes Made from Shipping Containers
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 283 Great DIY Project Ideas
- Picture-Perfect Patios: 10 Outdoor Spaces to Love
- 10 Clever Uses for Space Under Stairs
- 17 Backsplashes for a Unique Kitchen
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 16 Ways to Use Salvaged Wood in Your Home
- Natural Swimming Pools: 10 Reasons to Jump In
- 108 Easy Outdoor Living Ideas
- 14 Room Dividers to Organize Your Space
- 10 Handy Household Uses for Vinegar
- 12 Easy Ways to Boost Bathroom Storage
- 15 "Neat" Garage Storage Solutions
- 15 Unexpected DIY Flooring Alternatives
- 11 Creative Ways to Reuse Cardboard Boxes
- DIY Organization: 10 Cheap and Easy Ideas
- 10 Ways to Live Large in 400 Sq. Ft. or Less
- Brilliant New Uses for Old Wooden Doors