We are renovating and found an old claw foot tub at a yard sale. It was made in 1923 so was a buy. The people had spray painted it but we are not sure with what kind of paint. What we would like to know is how do we refinish the inside of the tub so it looks almost as good as new? There are so many products on the market we are not sure what to use.
There are companies that do tub refinishing and that is the best way to go about this project. That is if you want it look new and stay that way and definitly if you are going to use the tub for bathing.
I definitely agree with the previous response. I have had tubs refinished professionally, and they turn out nice. Be aware, however, that they use a paint-like product, that eventually starts to peel revealing the old finish. The original finish was a baked on enamel -- nothing will outlast that. If you can get to the original enamel and it is not too terrible, stay with it. I have also seen people buy do-it-yourself tub refinish kits, and I have never seen good results. The exteriors of tubs were sometimes not enameled. You should feel free to paint it any color you like. Black is common, but I have also seen nice fish murals. Leave the inside to the experts.
how to fix leak into overflow tube?
Peeling paint on new green board
GE gas oven not working, but stovetop is working? H...
Old claw foot bathtub
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Total Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Top 10 Classic DIY Projects for the Outdoors
- 15 Once-Popular Household Items That Are Vanishing
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Wise Ways to Get Rid of Pests and Critters
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- Top Tips for Keeping Countertops Like New
- 15 Amazing Things You Can Make with $0 Scrap Wood
- 14 Ways to Get More Kitchen Counter Space
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 18 Bathroom Updates You Can Do in 1 Day
- 9 Tried-and-True Methods of Eliminating Weeds
- Top 11 Color Trends to Follow in 2014
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 10 Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 10 “Stone Sober” Household Uses for Liquor
- 10 Plant Containers to Make with Everyday Items
- 15 Spring Home Maintenance Musts
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 12 Easy Ways to Revitalize Outdoor Furniture
- 14 Room Dividers to Organize Your Space
- Wow-Worthy Window Films: 11 Top Picks
- 10 Houseplants to Improve Air Quality
- 10 Ingenious Home Uses for Baking Soda