I purchased a Paint Shaver from American International Tools about a year ago and have been using it to strip decades of old paint from a 1920 bungalow. Let me first put all of your concerns about this tool aside; it is a quality piece of engineering that does everything they say it does. It works better than anything alse on the market, bar none. The Metabo paint remover is far inferior to the Paint Shaver, so if someone refers you to it, don't waste your time. Removing paint down to the bare wood is a nasty, time-consuming job, and the Paint Shaver does it much faster and easier than any other method. It also sucks the old paint up and deposits it in a bag in your shop vac, which greatly reduces the mess and debris on the ground around the work area.
It takes some prep work to use it; you will have to use a nail set on the nail heads to slightly countersink them, or the blades on the tool will tear them out and damage the clapboards. Then after the paint has been removed, it is necessary to run a palm sander over the wood to smooth it out for priming.
The Paint Shaver is not cheap, but you can always re-sell it after you are done using it. It fetches top dollar on EBay, as there are not many used ones for sale. I am amazed at the job that it has done on my old bungalow, and would recommend this tool to homeowner and professional alike.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Ways to Troubleshoot the Furnace
- 11 Real Haunted Houses to Visit--If You Dare!
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 21 Expert Picks for Fail-Safe Colors
- 10 Fall Door DIYs for the Best House on the Block
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 Unexpected Uses for Spray Paint
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 8 Amazing Handmade Kitchen Counters
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Thrifty DIY Ways to Organize Your Home
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 5 "Make in a Weekend" Bookshelf Projects
- 9 Decorating Lessons We Learned from Social Media
- 10 "Zero Dollar" Storage Hacks
- 121 DIY Ideas for Halloween
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!