I purchased a Paint Shaver from American International Tools about a year ago and have been using it to strip decades of old paint from a 1920 bungalow. Let me first put all of your concerns about this tool aside; it is a quality piece of engineering that does everything they say it does. It works better than anything alse on the market, bar none. The Metabo paint remover is far inferior to the Paint Shaver, so if someone refers you to it, don't waste your time. Removing paint down to the bare wood is a nasty, time-consuming job, and the Paint Shaver does it much faster and easier than any other method. It also sucks the old paint up and deposits it in a bag in your shop vac, which greatly reduces the mess and debris on the ground around the work area.
It takes some prep work to use it; you will have to use a nail set on the nail heads to slightly countersink them, or the blades on the tool will tear them out and damage the clapboards. Then after the paint has been removed, it is necessary to run a palm sander over the wood to smooth it out for priming.
The Paint Shaver is not cheap, but you can always re-sell it after you are done using it. It fetches top dollar on EBay, as there are not many used ones for sale. I am amazed at the job that it has done on my old bungalow, and would recommend this tool to homeowner and professional alike.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 13 Lazy Cleaning Tricks for a Spotless Home
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 7 House Sounds You Never Want to Ignore
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- Worth It: 8 Renovations That Pay You Back
- Organize Your Life with 12 Dollar-Store Buys
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- Don't Make These 7 Mistakes in Small Spaces
- 20 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 15 Totally Unexpected DIY Flooring Alternatives
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 10 Closet Cures That Cost Less Than $100
- 11 Easy DIY Projects to Declutter Your Home
- 10 "Zero Dollar" Garden Hacks
- 10 Killproof Plants for a No-Effort Landscape
- 9 Insanely Easy 1-Hour Backyard Projects