I purchased a Paint Shaver from American International Tools about a year ago and have been using it to strip decades of old paint from a 1920 bungalow. Let me first put all of your concerns about this tool aside; it is a quality piece of engineering that does everything they say it does. It works better than anything alse on the market, bar none. The Metabo paint remover is far inferior to the Paint Shaver, so if someone refers you to it, don't waste your time. Removing paint down to the bare wood is a nasty, time-consuming job, and the Paint Shaver does it much faster and easier than any other method. It also sucks the old paint up and deposits it in a bag in your shop vac, which greatly reduces the mess and debris on the ground around the work area.
It takes some prep work to use it; you will have to use a nail set on the nail heads to slightly countersink them, or the blades on the tool will tear them out and damage the clapboards. Then after the paint has been removed, it is necessary to run a palm sander over the wood to smooth it out for priming.
The Paint Shaver is not cheap, but you can always re-sell it after you are done using it. It fetches top dollar on EBay, as there are not many used ones for sale. I am amazed at the job that it has done on my old bungalow, and would recommend this tool to homeowner and professional alike.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- Make Your Bed: 9 DIY Headboards
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Space-Saving Solutions for Tiny Bedrooms
- 9 Perfect Color Combos for Your Home
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- What's the Best Color for Living Rooms?
- Favorite Space-Saving Double-Duty Furniture
- 10 Low-Cost DIY Home Security Solutions
- Redecorate Without Spending a Dime: 10 Ideas
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- 9 Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- Live Large in a (Very) Small Space
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Simple Woodworking Projects
- Is There Anything Vinegar Can't Do?
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 10 Surprisingly Smart Solutions for Junk Drawers
- Bright & Bold Colors for Your Front Door
- DIY Bookcases: 16 Easy Project Ideas
- Don't Make These 7 Fireplace Mistakes