I purchased a Paint Shaver from American International Tools about a year ago and have been using it to strip decades of old paint from a 1920 bungalow. Let me first put all of your concerns about this tool aside; it is a quality piece of engineering that does everything they say it does. It works better than anything alse on the market, bar none. The Metabo paint remover is far inferior to the Paint Shaver, so if someone refers you to it, don't waste your time. Removing paint down to the bare wood is a nasty, time-consuming job, and the Paint Shaver does it much faster and easier than any other method. It also sucks the old paint up and deposits it in a bag in your shop vac, which greatly reduces the mess and debris on the ground around the work area.
It takes some prep work to use it; you will have to use a nail set on the nail heads to slightly countersink them, or the blades on the tool will tear them out and damage the clapboards. Then after the paint has been removed, it is necessary to run a palm sander over the wood to smooth it out for priming.
The Paint Shaver is not cheap, but you can always re-sell it after you are done using it. It fetches top dollar on EBay, as there are not many used ones for sale. I am amazed at the job that it has done on my old bungalow, and would recommend this tool to homeowner and professional alike.
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 17 Design Inspirations for Mudrooms and Entryways
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Total Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 30 Things Every Homeowner Should Know How to Do
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 159 Storage Ideas for Space-Starved DIYers
- 21 "Expert Picks" for Fail-Safe Colors
- 9 Easy Ways to Kill Weeds Effectively
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- Simple “Under $60” Curb Appeal Updates for Any Home
- 10 Pretty Plants You Didn't Know Were Poisonous
- Ultimate Lawn Care Guide: 12 Steps to a Prize-Winning Yard
- 10 Room Dividers to Bring Order to Your Space
- 11 Creative Garden Borders You Can Make—Easily!
- Tips and Tricks to Fit More into Less Closet Space
- Secret Rooms: 10 Special Spaces Hidden from Sight