My house is 109 years old. I've been stripping the wallpaper in the dining room down to several layers of paint over plaster. The walls are pretty smooth, just a few little holes from screws, but I don't really like the texture of the paint. I think it's a gloss paint, and it sort of looks the skin of an orange, but where I can see the plaster, it looks perfectly smooth. Someone suggested putting skimcoat on the walls to smoothe it out. Is this appropriate? Is it possible to strip paint from plaster walls?
Any type of chemical or mechanical paint stripper is likely to damage or remove the plaster underneath. I would also suggest doing a skimcoat as well.
The product you would use to skim coat the walls will stick to a glossy paint and would eventually fall off. I don't think it would be all that practical to remove all the paint and start over. I would just prime the walls with an oil based primer and finish with a latex finish paint and remember a flat finish will show up the texture less than a one with a sheen.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- Make Your Bed: 9 DIY Headboards
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Space-Saving Solutions for Tiny Bedrooms
- 9 Perfect Color Combos for Your Home
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- What's the Best Color for Living Rooms?
- Favorite Space-Saving Double-Duty Furniture
- 10 Low-Cost DIY Home Security Solutions
- Redecorate Without Spending a Dime: 10 Ideas
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- 9 Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- Live Large in a (Very) Small Space
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Simple Woodworking Projects
- Is There Anything Vinegar Can't Do?
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 10 Surprisingly Smart Solutions for Junk Drawers
- Bright & Bold Colors for Your Front Door
- DIY Bookcases: 16 Easy Project Ideas
- Don't Make These 7 Fireplace Mistakes