My house is 109 years old. I've been stripping the wallpaper in the dining room down to several layers of paint over plaster. The walls are pretty smooth, just a few little holes from screws, but I don't really like the texture of the paint. I think it's a gloss paint, and it sort of looks the skin of an orange, but where I can see the plaster, it looks perfectly smooth. Someone suggested putting skimcoat on the walls to smoothe it out. Is this appropriate? Is it possible to strip paint from plaster walls?
Any type of chemical or mechanical paint stripper is likely to damage or remove the plaster underneath. I would also suggest doing a skimcoat as well.
The product you would use to skim coat the walls will stick to a glossy paint and would eventually fall off. I don't think it would be all that practical to remove all the paint and start over. I would just prime the walls with an oil based primer and finish with a latex finish paint and remember a flat finish will show up the texture less than a one with a sheen.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- 15 Once-Popular Items Now Vanishing
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Design a Rustic Bathroom: 10 Inspirations
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 283 Great DIY Project Ideas
- 9 Budget Ways to Revive Your Porch
- 10 Clever Uses for Space Under Stairs
- 17 Backsplashes for a Unique Kitchen
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- Make Your Small Bathroom Feel BIG
- 108 Easy Outdoor Living Ideas
- The Right Path: 15 Wonderful Walkway Designs
- 10 Smart New Uses for Old Tires
- 14 Room Dividers to Organize Your Space
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- 15 Unexpected DIY Flooring Alternatives
- Design a Better Bedroom: 9 Strategies
- 21 Paint Colors That Never Fail
- 1 Dozen Ways to Maximize a Small Yard
- 9 Easy-to-Make Garden Luminaries
- Would You Live in a Floating Home?