My house is 109 years old. I've been stripping the wallpaper in the dining room down to several layers of paint over plaster. The walls are pretty smooth, just a few little holes from screws, but I don't really like the texture of the paint. I think it's a gloss paint, and it sort of looks the skin of an orange, but where I can see the plaster, it looks perfectly smooth. Someone suggested putting skimcoat on the walls to smoothe it out. Is this appropriate? Is it possible to strip paint from plaster walls?
Any type of chemical or mechanical paint stripper is likely to damage or remove the plaster underneath. I would also suggest doing a skimcoat as well.
The product you would use to skim coat the walls will stick to a glossy paint and would eventually fall off. I don't think it would be all that practical to remove all the paint and start over. I would just prime the walls with an oil based primer and finish with a latex finish paint and remember a flat finish will show up the texture less than a one with a sheen.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Ways to Troubleshoot the Furnace
- 11 Real Haunted Houses to Visit--If You Dare!
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 21 Expert Picks for Fail-Safe Colors
- 7 DIY Ways to Reuse a 5-Gal Bucket
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 Unexpected Uses for Spray Paint
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 8 Amazing Handmade Kitchen Counters
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Thrifty DIY Ways to Organize Your Home
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 5 "Make in a Weekend" Bookshelf Projects
- 9 Decorating Lessons We Learned from Social Media
- 10 "Zero Dollar" Storage Hacks
- 121 DIY Ideas for Halloween
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!