I am going to paint mym daughter's room and will be going from blue to yellow.
Is it necessary to put a coat of primer first?
You normally do not need a primer when painting latex over latex, but in this case I would prime the walls white as yellow does not cover very well. You will use a latex primer but do not let the paint store tint it close to the color as it will not work as well as leaving it white.
I would definetly use a layer of some high-hiding primer like Zinzer or Kilz. The extra $15 may save you 2 extra coats. Yellow does't cover dark colors well, you will see the layers.
As great as the Zinsser and Kilz products are at sealing they do not cover very well as that is not what they are suppose to do. The Zinsser rep says that her primer is not made to cover but that is left up to the finish paint. In your case you need coverage and not sealing and or stain killer properties. So ask the paint store to sell you their best covering latex primer.
Thanks for those responses. Boy are you RIGHT! I put down a primer coat and have one coat of yellow and it's almost transparent. I'm thinking of putting another primer coat over the first coat of yellow and then trying the yellow again. What a pain!!
Painting exterior steel door
Painters Tape Peeling off the Paint
Which Primer for Drywall after popcorn ceiling is re...
Floetrol and Primer
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 25 Insanely Easy-to-Make Holiday Ornaments
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 10 Classic Ways to Brighten Up a Dark Room
- 10 Quick and Creative Stocking Stuffers
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 7 Unauthorized Uses for Common Appliances
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- Best Secret Hiding Spots We've Ever Seen
- Sweet Dreams: 15 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 11 Ways to Winterize Your Home
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 10 Must-Do Projects for November
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow ANYWHERE
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 10 Bookcases You Can Make Yourself
- 7 Mistakes Not to Make with Your Fireplace
- The Easy 1-Hour Money-Saving Home Checkup
- Quick Fixes for a Fresher Shower
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Ways to Redecorate Without Spending a Dime
- The Top 10 Artificial Christmas Trees