I am going to paint mym daughter's room and will be going from blue to yellow.
Is it necessary to put a coat of primer first?
You normally do not need a primer when painting latex over latex, but in this case I would prime the walls white as yellow does not cover very well. You will use a latex primer but do not let the paint store tint it close to the color as it will not work as well as leaving it white.
I would definetly use a layer of some high-hiding primer like Zinzer or Kilz. The extra $15 may save you 2 extra coats. Yellow does't cover dark colors well, you will see the layers.
As great as the Zinsser and Kilz products are at sealing they do not cover very well as that is not what they are suppose to do. The Zinsser rep says that her primer is not made to cover but that is left up to the finish paint. In your case you need coverage and not sealing and or stain killer properties. So ask the paint store to sell you their best covering latex primer.
Thanks for those responses. Boy are you RIGHT! I put down a primer coat and have one coat of yellow and it's almost transparent. I'm thinking of putting another primer coat over the first coat of yellow and then trying the yellow again. What a pain!!
Painting exterior steel door
Painters Tape Peeling off the Paint
Which Primer for Drywall after popcorn ceiling is re...
Floetrol and Primer
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- 15 Once-Popular Items Now Vanishing
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Design a Rustic Bathroom: 10 Inspirations
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 283 Great DIY Project Ideas
- 9 Budget Ways to Revive Your Porch
- 11 Ways to Dress Up Your Dresser
- 17 Backsplashes for a Unique Kitchen
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- Make Your Small Bathroom Feel BIG
- 108 Easy Outdoor Living Ideas
- The Right Path: 15 Wonderful Walkway Designs
- 10 Smart New Uses for Old Tires
- 14 Room Dividers to Organize Your Space
- Facade Facelift: Simple, Affordable Ways to Make a Better First Impression
- Reconsider Aboveground Pools: 10 Reasons Why
- 5 New Uses for Old Wooden Crates
- 21 Paint Colors That Never Fail
- 1 Dozen Ways to Maximize a Small Yard
- 9 Easy-to-Make Garden Luminaries
- Make Your Own Bookcase: 10 DIY Designs