I am going to paint mym daughter's room and will be going from blue to yellow.
Is it necessary to put a coat of primer first?
You normally do not need a primer when painting latex over latex, but in this case I would prime the walls white as yellow does not cover very well. You will use a latex primer but do not let the paint store tint it close to the color as it will not work as well as leaving it white.
I would definetly use a layer of some high-hiding primer like Zinzer or Kilz. The extra $15 may save you 2 extra coats. Yellow does't cover dark colors well, you will see the layers.
As great as the Zinsser and Kilz products are at sealing they do not cover very well as that is not what they are suppose to do. The Zinsser rep says that her primer is not made to cover but that is left up to the finish paint. In your case you need coverage and not sealing and or stain killer properties. So ask the paint store to sell you their best covering latex primer.
Thanks for those responses. Boy are you RIGHT! I put down a primer coat and have one coat of yellow and it's almost transparent. I'm thinking of putting another primer coat over the first coat of yellow and then trying the yellow again. What a pain!!
Painting exterior steel door
Painters Tape Peeling off the Paint
Which Primer for Drywall after popcorn ceiling is re...
Floetrol and Primer
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 5 Things to Do With...Old Rakes
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Classic Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 8 DIY Storage Solutions for a Closet-less Room
- 9 Potent Cleaners You Didn't Know You Had
- 8 Great DIY Ways to Use Cinder Blocks
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 10 Fall Home Maintenance Musts
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Perfect Projects
- 8 Countertops You'd Never Believe Were Handmade
- 9 Handy Uses for Your Cordless Drill/Driver
- 5 Minutes Flat: 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- 10 FREE Storage Hacks
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Design Inspirations for Your Small Bedroom
- How to Refinish a Dresser
- 7 Tools to Wage War Against Leaves
- 16 Ingenious IKEA Hacks
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 10 Insanely Creative Shelves You Can DIY