I am going to paint mym daughter's room and will be going from blue to yellow.
Is it necessary to put a coat of primer first?
You normally do not need a primer when painting latex over latex, but in this case I would prime the walls white as yellow does not cover very well. You will use a latex primer but do not let the paint store tint it close to the color as it will not work as well as leaving it white.
I would definetly use a layer of some high-hiding primer like Zinzer or Kilz. The extra $15 may save you 2 extra coats. Yellow does't cover dark colors well, you will see the layers.
As great as the Zinsser and Kilz products are at sealing they do not cover very well as that is not what they are suppose to do. The Zinsser rep says that her primer is not made to cover but that is left up to the finish paint. In your case you need coverage and not sealing and or stain killer properties. So ask the paint store to sell you their best covering latex primer.
Thanks for those responses. Boy are you RIGHT! I put down a primer coat and have one coat of yellow and it's almost transparent. I'm thinking of putting another primer coat over the first coat of yellow and then trying the yellow again. What a pain!!
Painting exterior steel door
Painters Tape Peeling off the Paint
Which Primer for Drywall after popcorn ceiling is re...
Floetrol and Primer
- 10 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 11 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 12 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Kitchen Envy: 10 Rooms We Love
- 25 Clever Ideas for Repurposed Storage
- 10 Surprising Ways to Cure Household Odors
- 11 Ways to Winterize Your Home on a Budget
- 10 Ways to Live Large in a Small Space
- 10 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Dressing Up the Dresser: 11 Clever DIY Transformations
- 12 Hobbit Houses to Make You Consider Moving Underground
- 10 Ways to Use Mirrors to Your Design Advantage
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- How To: Paint EVERYTHING
- Man, Oh Man! 7 Unbelievable Guy Spaces
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 12 Wow-Worthy Woods for Kitchen Countertops
- 10 "Neat" Garage Storage Solutions
- 10 Houseplants to Improve Indoor Air Quality
- How To: Clean EVERYTHING