I have just started my 3rd coat of red paint in our dining room and am getting frustrated! I have heard it can take several coats (3-5) but it still looks awful. I am using Behr paint, which I have had used in the past and it worked great. I didn't use a primer, which I didn't even think about until the 2nd coat still looked so bad! Any advise? Should I keep going or give up?
Yes some red colors cover terrible and can take five coats or more unless you use a red base as opposed to the normal base which is really just clear paint. You may want to have the color matched in a red base and you can find one at Martin Seynour, Duron, and I think Sherwin Williams. But no matter what you do I would just keep on going as if you prime the wall now you will have to apply at least two more coats of finish paint over that so you will not be gaining anything. You should apply the paint with a 1/4 nap roller as it will apply the paint smoother and really give you better coverage.
Hope this helps.
Hope this helps.
You're not the only one who's struggled with red paint woes. This also applies to deep blues, purples, greens. If your paint label says "clear base" you're in for a challenge. It seems the color tends to separate - no matter how quickly you work with it. I've found that spraying these colors works best. But if you must roll, remember to never stop in the middle of the wall, keep a wet edge, and yes, sometimes it takes 4 coats to get it right. In the future, start with Sherwin Williams Color-Prime system - it's just primer tinted in one of several shades of grey (depending on the finish color you're going to use). It's based on the automotive industry's use of different shades of grey primer on cars. It really helps with coverage. In your case, though, I'd just put another coat or two of red. Kinda too late for primer.
I have the same problem with a dark burgandy paint and guess what I put 2 coats of the recommended primer color on the wall first. 3 coats of the color later I am looking at 2 more coats to cover the wall! It is Behr paint supposedly a good brand but it is not working.I am at the point of no return and will try 2 more coats after that I will post the results here.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 25 Insanely Easy-to-Make Holiday Ornaments
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 10 Classic Ways to Brighten Up a Dark Room
- 10 Quick and Creative Stocking Stuffers
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 7 Unauthorized Uses for Common Appliances
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- Best Secret Hiding Spots We've Ever Seen
- Sweet Dreams: 15 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 11 Ways to Winterize Your Home
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 10 Must-Do Projects for November
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow ANYWHERE
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 10 Bookcases You Can Make Yourself
- 7 Mistakes Not to Make with Your Fireplace
- The Easy 1-Hour Money-Saving Home Checkup
- Quick Fixes for a Fresher Shower
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Ways to Redecorate Without Spending a Dime
- The Top 10 Artificial Christmas Trees