I have just started my 3rd coat of red paint in our dining room and am getting frustrated! I have heard it can take several coats (3-5) but it still looks awful. I am using Behr paint, which I have had used in the past and it worked great. I didn't use a primer, which I didn't even think about until the 2nd coat still looked so bad! Any advise? Should I keep going or give up?
Yes some red colors cover terrible and can take five coats or more unless you use a red base as opposed to the normal base which is really just clear paint. You may want to have the color matched in a red base and you can find one at Martin Seynour, Duron, and I think Sherwin Williams. But no matter what you do I would just keep on going as if you prime the wall now you will have to apply at least two more coats of finish paint over that so you will not be gaining anything. You should apply the paint with a 1/4 nap roller as it will apply the paint smoother and really give you better coverage.
Hope this helps.
Hope this helps.
You're not the only one who's struggled with red paint woes. This also applies to deep blues, purples, greens. If your paint label says "clear base" you're in for a challenge. It seems the color tends to separate - no matter how quickly you work with it. I've found that spraying these colors works best. But if you must roll, remember to never stop in the middle of the wall, keep a wet edge, and yes, sometimes it takes 4 coats to get it right. In the future, start with Sherwin Williams Color-Prime system - it's just primer tinted in one of several shades of grey (depending on the finish color you're going to use). It's based on the automotive industry's use of different shades of grey primer on cars. It really helps with coverage. In your case, though, I'd just put another coat or two of red. Kinda too late for primer.
I have the same problem with a dark burgandy paint and guess what I put 2 coats of the recommended primer color on the wall first. 3 coats of the color later I am looking at 2 more coats to cover the wall! It is Behr paint supposedly a good brand but it is not working.I am at the point of no return and will try 2 more coats after that I will post the results here.
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Total Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Top 10 Classic DIY Projects for the Outdoors
- 15 Once-Popular Household Items That Are Vanishing
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Wise Ways to Get Rid of Pests and Critters
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- Top Tips for Keeping Countertops Like New
- 15 Amazing Things You Can Make with $0 Scrap Wood
- 14 Ways to Get More Kitchen Counter Space
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 18 Bathroom Updates You Can Do in 1 Day
- 9 Tried-and-True Methods of Eliminating Weeds
- Top 11 Color Trends to Follow in 2014
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 10 Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 10 “Stone Sober” Household Uses for Liquor
- 10 Plant Containers to Make with Everyday Items
- 15 Spring Home Maintenance Musts
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 12 Easy Ways to Revitalize Outdoor Furniture
- 14 Room Dividers to Organize Your Space
- Wow-Worthy Window Films: 11 Top Picks
- 10 Houseplants to Improve Air Quality
- 10 Ingenious Home Uses for Baking Soda