I have just started my 3rd coat of red paint in our dining room and am getting frustrated! I have heard it can take several coats (3-5) but it still looks awful. I am using Behr paint, which I have had used in the past and it worked great. I didn't use a primer, which I didn't even think about until the 2nd coat still looked so bad! Any advise? Should I keep going or give up?
Yes some red colors cover terrible and can take five coats or more unless you use a red base as opposed to the normal base which is really just clear paint. You may want to have the color matched in a red base and you can find one at Martin Seynour, Duron, and I think Sherwin Williams. But no matter what you do I would just keep on going as if you prime the wall now you will have to apply at least two more coats of finish paint over that so you will not be gaining anything. You should apply the paint with a 1/4 nap roller as it will apply the paint smoother and really give you better coverage.
Hope this helps.
Hope this helps.
You're not the only one who's struggled with red paint woes. This also applies to deep blues, purples, greens. If your paint label says "clear base" you're in for a challenge. It seems the color tends to separate - no matter how quickly you work with it. I've found that spraying these colors works best. But if you must roll, remember to never stop in the middle of the wall, keep a wet edge, and yes, sometimes it takes 4 coats to get it right. In the future, start with Sherwin Williams Color-Prime system - it's just primer tinted in one of several shades of grey (depending on the finish color you're going to use). It's based on the automotive industry's use of different shades of grey primer on cars. It really helps with coverage. In your case, though, I'd just put another coat or two of red. Kinda too late for primer.
I have the same problem with a dark burgandy paint and guess what I put 2 coats of the recommended primer color on the wall first. 3 coats of the color later I am looking at 2 more coats to cover the wall! It is Behr paint supposedly a good brand but it is not working.I am at the point of no return and will try 2 more coats after that I will post the results here.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- World's Most Amazing Slip 'N Slide
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- 11 Big Ideas for Small Kitchens
- 47 Industrial Kitchens
- 283 Great DIY Project Ideas
- The Right Path: 15 Wonderful Walkway Designs
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 17 Backsplashes for a Unique Kitchen
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 18 Bathroom Updates You Can Do in a Day
- Easy DIY Fixes for 11 Annoying House Problems
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- 14 Room Dividers to Organize Your Space
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- Make Good Use of Old Junk: 14 Creative Ideas
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- 10 Smart Solutions for Small Bedrooms
- 5 DIY Porch Swings Perfect for Summer
- 1 Dozen Ways to Maximize a Small Yard
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 5 Easy and Creative DIY Lamps