I'm looking for advice on prepping/priming/paiting our home that has cedar shake siding. I know the house has been painted with latex at least once, but is now peeling quite badly in areas where there is high sun exposure. My questions are:
1. What is the best way to prep this type of surface since the ridges make it more difficult to scrape/sand? Is power washing recommended as some of the shakes are a bit delicate looking?
2. Is it necessary to prime everything or just the bare wood that remains after prepping the surface?
3. Does anyone have any brand of paint they recommend for midwest (central IL) weather?
4. How long can I expect the paint job to last?
Any advice would be welcome!!
Get Help from Bob Vila
- Give-Aways & Offers
- Monthly Must Do's
- DIY Project Ideas
- Step-by-Step Guides
- Inspirational Photo Galleries