We have moved into a new home. All the walls and ceilings are "orange peel" finished. We want to paint both walls and ceilings. If we paint ceilings first, what is the best method to mask it off when painting the walls? If we use painter's tape, how long must the ceiling paint be allowed to dry before we put tape on it? Is there any other tape recommended other then 3M blue painters tape?
Thank you, for your help.
You want to use the 3M safe release #2080 tape for this. I would wait at least 4 to 5 days to be safe.
Regardless of whether you are using tape or not -- always do the ceiling first and let it dry for at least 24 hours. You won't find many painters who will do that -- trying to fit too much into a day, but it's the best approach. I would wait several days before using the blue tape. Take it off right after painting and pull from close to the wall -- don't grab a long piece of tape and pull...you guessed it... paint comes off that way!
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 13 Lazy Cleaning Tricks for a Spotless Home
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 7 House Sounds You Never Want to Ignore
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- Worth It: 8 Renovations That Pay You Back
- Organize Your Life with 12 Dollar-Store Buys
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- Don't Make These 7 Mistakes in Small Spaces
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 15 Totally Unexpected DIY Flooring Alternatives
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 10 Closet Cures That Cost Less Than $100
- 11 Easy DIY Projects to Declutter Your Home
- 10 "Zero Dollar" Garden Hacks
- 10 Killproof Plants for a No-Effort Landscape
- 9 Insanely Easy 1-Hour Backyard Projects