Hi, I'm in my first home, and I'm completely clueless. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. We have a 1930's home with plaster walls (currently wallpapered) that are cracking and bowed around the windows and corners of the rooms. The rest of the walls appear to be sound. The bowing is about 1/2 inch and does not appear to be 'loose' at all. It seems solid. I'm certain that the house is stable and done settling.
The cracks range from hairline to about an 1/8 inch, but the plaster is crumbling from around the cracks and bowed out area and leaves gaps about an inch wide in some places. I wanted to repaper the walls since the paper is old, discolored, and shows all of the cracks anyway, but I'd also like to repair the bowing and cracks too. Ideally, I'd love to ditch the paper altogether, but I'm not sure I'm talented enough to have only a paint and primer cover!!
Would I be able to gently sand down the bowed out area, or would this cause too much crumbling? Can I just fill in the cracks with joint compound, sand, and repaper, or is it not that simple? Any advice??
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 10 IKEA Favorites Made New with Paint
- The Tiniest Appliances You Never Knew Existed
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 21 Expert Picks for Fail-Safe Colors
- 10 Fall Door DIYs for the Best House on the Block
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 15 Once-Popular Home Items Now Vanishing
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 7 Reasons to Reconsider Wallpaper
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Thrifty DIY Ways to Organize Your Home
- 12 "Different" Ways to Store Firewood
- 17 Creative Ways to Repurpose Cardboard
- Beyond White: 11 Bathroom Paint Colors
- 10 DIYs for a Festive Front Door This Fall
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!