Purchased 2 nice (expensive) fiberglass double-doors a while back. I an a pretty experienced carpenter/woodworker, but not so with fiberglass. I was told I needed to use MinWax Gel Stain w/sponge brush. Project would be difficult & I would only get one shot to do it correctly. The old lady I've lived with for 41 years is ENCOURAGING me to get on with it.:-] Does anyone have any experience with this material, any suggestions or resources to check before I plunge into the project?
Any advise would be warmly received!
Yes you do need to use a gel type stain as regular stains will not work. These doors are a bit difficult to do but they do turn out nice. You can use a natural bristle brush to apply the stain which I think will do better than a foam one. I would start with doing the panels first and then finish up with the center sections and then the outside stiles. I also would have two brushes, one to apply the stain and the other to even out the stain once it is on the door. Once you have stained the door allow it to dry until the next day (24 hours) and then apply at least two prefrably three coats of a marine spar varnish (oil based) to get a good protective coating over the stain. If this door gets alot of exposure to the elements you may have to apply more varnish every eighteen months or so.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- 15 Once-Popular Items Now Vanishing
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Design a Rustic Bathroom: 10 Inspirations
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 283 Great DIY Project Ideas
- 9 Budget Ways to Revive Your Porch
- 10 Clever Uses for Space Under Stairs
- 17 Backsplashes for a Unique Kitchen
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- Make Your Small Bathroom Feel BIG
- 108 Easy Outdoor Living Ideas
- The Right Path: 15 Wonderful Walkway Designs
- 10 Smart New Uses for Old Tires
- 14 Room Dividers to Organize Your Space
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- 15 Unexpected DIY Flooring Alternatives
- Design a Better Bedroom: 9 Strategies
- 21 Paint Colors That Never Fail
- 1 Dozen Ways to Maximize a Small Yard
- 9 Easy-to-Make Garden Luminaries
- Would You Live in a Floating Home?